How long will my starter keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all...I was planning on brewing today,but some things have come up and it doesn't look like brewing is going to happen. I made a starter for today and now that it looks like I won't be needing it today I was wondering how long it will keep. Can I just put an airlock on it and put in the fridge? Thanks

I don't make starters very often, but when I do, I actually make them about a week ahead of time, put an airlock on them, and let them sit at room temp until I need to pitch.

You *can* put it in the fridge, but there is no real *need* to do that. After all, it's a miniature batch of beer and you can let it sit at room temp just like you would with a large batch of beer in a fermenter.

since it is a mini batch of beer think of it this way. if you can pitch on top of a yeast cake from a beer that has been sitting around for a month i dont see any difference in keeping a starter that long. i may be wrong but the logic seems correct. i always chill my starters though so i can decant the liquid.

Cover it, refrigerate it and then decant off the liquid on top when it's time to pitch into wort. I don't really like to add the "beer" part of the starter to my wort, usually I am doing a big starter so I don't want 3-4L of starter in my beer. I've read differing amounts of time that you can leave it in the fridge without washing it but generally I don't like to go more than a week.

Back