Northern Illinois Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in River Forest and currently have Cascades and Goldings growing. Both are doing well.

I am just north of Chicago, and I have the following varieties growing in my backyard: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette, Sterling.

The Willamette and Centennial are all over 10' high (first year crop). They also get the most sunlight, so that could be a huge factor.

Plant in a very sunny location.

Anyone know if the noble hops are ok here or is this climate not tolerable?

Which varieties?

My Magnums do very well but Mt Hood really never did anything and I finally removed it.

Same for some English. Goldings do very well, Fuggles have never produced well for me. Willamette is the only other variety I would warn against here.

Pretty much all of the other American varieties (all of the C's, Nugget, Newport, etc) do well around here as we have a good light phase and growing season with minimal disease issues.

I'm just over the border in Janesville and all of my hops are doin well. I have Cascade,Willamette, and Golding. I cant complain about any of them.

Well I'm just west of Steelers 77 in Brodhead with Fuggles, Cascade, and Hallertau all growing pretty well in their second season.

Probably stay away from Mount Hood, can never get them going. Cascade and Cent love it here. St. Charles, IL

In southwest suburban IL. I grew Nugget last year and it was good. Will be growing Chinook, Zeus, and Cascade this year with Nugget. Looking forward to the harvest in August.

I'm just over the border in Janesville and all of my hops are doin well. I have Cascade,Willamette, and Golding. I cant complain about any of them.

My brother in law bought a place in Livingston. I need to drop by your store when I am passing through sometime.

Back