Electric stove BREW??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi im on my second brew, my first one turned out great and i had a gas stove to use at my old house, but since ive moved all i have is an electric stove.

My question is will this do? Im fairly new at this, what problems could i run into using the electric, and is it worth it to just wait and try to find a propane burner.

Thanks in advance for your help

How many gallons are you boiling?

for a partial boil the electric will definately work, it just takes long to bring to a boil.

heat up your house and the wort to as high a temp as you can stand (seriously), the less work the electric stove has to do the better.

consider using a lid and check it frequesntly, using a lid almost guarantee's a boil over.

propane burners a re good becuase good ones have high heat output and you can use them outside. I have a gas stove and use a Charcoal grill, i don't see myself ever using a propane burner.

I am brewing 5 gal batches, last time i used a lid as well but I put it on kinda crooked and adjusted it so it was boiling perfect with no boil overs, i guess ill try this batch with the elec and switch to a propane burner soon.

I do full all grain boils on my electric stove. That said - my electric stove has some seriously thick coils and is like 15 years old and puts out as much heat as I have ever seen from a stove. I can get my boil going from the 140F runoff to a rolling boil in about 20-25 minutes. (I set my thermometer alarm to 210 in the boil so I don't boil over.)

5 gallons may be tough, this'll be a good test for your stove.

maybe you wanna try adding a several cups of table sugar to 5 gallons of water and see if you can get it to boil as a test

Want to do 5 gallon boils on an electric stove? Find a canning supply store. Buy a canning element for your stove--- you'll need the make aqnd model to get the right one.

Often these elements will stand a half inch or so higher than the rest of the elements and have 2 players of coils. Expect to pay between 30-50 bucks.

I've got a new glass-top electric stove. I've noticed that one of my large burners gets hotter than the other. I have to do my partial boils on the right side as the left doesn't get the boil going as rapidly.

If I ever go to full boils I will have to do it outside with propane. No way my stove will be able to handle 5 gal. Wish I had the option for that canning element.

i only boil 2.5 gal, and then mix the wort with 2.5 gall of cold water, so it hink ill be allright, it just might take a while, ill let you guys know how it goes.

boiling as we speak and its def doing fine, thanks for the help. One question tho i got liquid pitchable yeast, and ordered a cold pack with it but when it got here it was pretty warm (phx,az) Is this ok or will it cause problems.

use a heat diffuser when brewing on an electric stove cauz you MAY run into scoarching problems. A wire coathanger bent into the shape of a star worked good enuff for me.

I would say you probably will be ok with the yeast

Hmmm.... I'd say you had the heat on a little too high. I have just very lightly scorched so far. Although I generally stir often too.

another question my house is on the warm side, id say around 76-78, is this totally horrible, i know it should be at like 70 but thats pretty impossible here.

depends on what you're making (Yeast actually)

Ales handle heat better that Lager Yeast, which will make some FUNKY TASTING STUFF at higher temps.

what does the recipe call for?

try and get that as cool as you can, wet towel on the Primary and a fan.

BREWnoobtacular said:
another question my house is on the warm side, id say around 76-78, is this totally horrible, i know it should be at like 70 but thats pretty impossible here.

Yeah, you need to cool that down. REALLY. You need to cool that down. There are some tricks. You can put the carboy on a like... rubbermaid container. Fill it with water a little bit and put a cotton shirt on it. Have a small fan blow on it and it will cool a lot more then you would think. You can also make a box out of syrofoam, which will keep it cool.

This is also real cool (no pun intended)... I think Desertbrew made one... not sure....

http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/FermentationChiller.html

You should really shoot for full boils. An electric stove whould drive me nuts:drunk: Get propane burner, and a kettle:rockin:

IMAGE014.jpg

First full boil 1998

Latest posts

Back