What's the basic process for a cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
Hey, I'm kinda new here and have only got my second batch of beer in a secondary now, but I'm kinda interested in ciders. What does it take to make a cider? If I had to guess, I'd say that you boil up an amount of apple juice, add some spice to it if you like then cool it, and pitch some yeast in. After a while bottle it and wait for it to clarify and carbonate. Is that the basic process here? It might be fun to try if it's really pretty simple.

<edit> also I guess... what temperatures are needed to do it? can I just let it ferment in the same closet I let my ales ferment in?

What's with the boiling the juice? I do a fair bit of cider brewing and haven't ever boiled the juice. A good yeast will help. Whitelabs "English Cider " yeast improved mine to no end
alx

I'm just sort of going off of what I've done to prepare my ales. Just thought boiling may remove some impurities or something. I might try it now with out boiling. So....will just a jug of juice from the store work? If I buy it in the glass jug, could I pour out a little to drink to leave room and simply ferment in the jug, leaving my primary open for my next ale?

Basic cider

Take fresh juice without preservatives, add yeast.

Spiced cider

Take fresh juice without preservatives, add yeast and spices.

Some people use campden tablets to kill the wild yeast, but this will leave sulfites in the cider.

Cider will ferment down below 1.000, but takes longer than ales to complete.

david_42 said:
Basic cider - Take fresh juice without preservatives, add yeast.
Some people use campden tablets to kill the wild yeast, but this will leave sulfites in the cider.
If you use fresh juice that's preservative free but has been pasturised you won't have to worry about wild yeasts

Latest posts

Back