Verizon FiOS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Anyone have the Verizon FiOS TV/DSL/Phone package? How is it? They say it's faster than Comcast cable modem service and a better tv picture.

Is there a contract? They say it's $99 per month, is that really true? Do they have DVR's?

I have a coworker that's signed up for their FiOS internet service. She's still waiting for it to be hooked up, details will follow as I'm also curious how good it is.

My parents have the Internet and Phone but not the TV. They are pleased with it. Speeds are very fast and average around 13Mbit download(Provisioned for 15 but its rare to get what your promised). As far as faster than comcast internet that depends on what comcast is offering in your area. Many cable companies offer 15Mbit down so realworld speeds would be closer to the 13 FIOS gets. Cable providers may also offer slower speeds such as 6Mbit. You need to contact your providor to see what theyre offering.

The 99/mo sounds about right but I cant say for sure. Again, it may depend on your area.

I HAD Verizon for everything... now I only have the FIOS internet and I have ViaTalk internet phone service. I think the $99 is for 6 or 12 months only... my wife looked into that deal. We had nothing but billing mistakes with our Verizon phone service, so we switched, but we love the FIOS internet.

What is it now, 15/2m for like $30/month? Man I would give my left nut for a pipe like that at home, I pay $50/mo + for Comcast's cheesy 4000/768k but it's the only game in town. :(

If fios were here I'd get it. But it only goes as far north as Westchester, then copper is the only choice.

Pabst Blue Robot said:
What is it now, 15/2m for like $30/month? Man I would give my left nut for a pipe like that at home, I pay $50/mo + for Comcast's cheesy 4000/768k but it's the only game in town. :(
This is why I love insight. We pay $75 a month for internet and cable tv plus showtime and TMC & on demand. The internet is advertises 10/1 and we get ~13/1.5

I have it at home. It's pretty good I'll say. I did like DirectTv's box better. The remote was much better and the Tivo was awesome. The DVR on the Verizon box is "ok" and the remote has to be pointed directly at the box, only on the DVR/HD receiver. We have the smallest pipe for broadband which is super fast, DVR, HD on main tv, and two other boxes, and the additional HBO package, and we are paying $136 per month for all three with taxes and what not. I think we are on a 1yr contract, so who knows what it will go up to after that.

I had Fios internet and phone for a while. We switched from Optimum online (15/2) to Fios (20/5) and were planning on getting the triple package with TV until we found out that TV wouldn't be offered in our area because our village turned it down.

The speeds were fantastic but we switched back to Optimum because we can do all three of their services (and up the internet to 30/5) for less then we would pay if we had separate services

Back