I just poured a beer down the sink after one drink.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
Millsteam Brewing Co. Amana Iowa

Colony Oatmeal Stout Lager

Absolutely acrid and sour tasting. Awful.

IMG_0855.JPG

Ugh, note to not try that brew when I am waiting.

One beer I had to dump was that Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. I had to try it as it was labeled as a 'lambic' and of course because Sam Adams (usually) makes good beers.

That was horrid... It reminded me of what Play-Doh used to smell like.
Straight ****...
-Me

One beer I had to dump was that Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. I had to try it as it was labeled as a 'lambic' and of course because Sam Adams (usually) makes good beers.

Straight ****...
-Me

I just tried one last week. I've heard nothing but horrible things about it, its a drain pour and no one drinks more than a couple sips. Well I told myself no beer can be that bad and I'll drink the whole bottle even if it doesn't taste that great just to prove a point. So I crack it open, pour it in a glass and take a whif... smells kinda funky but hey its a lambic. I take a sip and its gross and I get light headed. Hmm.. a beer can't be so bad that it makes me feel like I'm going to pass out so I take another big sip and get dizzy again. So I take another in spite of both hearing that its completely undrinkable and the fact that I think this beer is going to knock me out. Agghhh its bad and I'm holding onto the sink now. One more chug and I can't take anymore.. down the drain it goes. I gave it my best shot but that is one undrinkable beer...

Did you get it from a local store or a drive thru Amana? I must be looking for punishment but I want to try it now for some odd reason.

Glad to hear I am not the only one that poured Sam Adam's cranberry lambic down the drain. Horrible beer. But the others in the holiday pack are very good.

I think it is a fine oatmeal stout. Nothing spectacular but definitely drinkable and quite clean. Not sure why you would pour this down the drain personally, maybe the bottle was bad.

Ugh, note to not try that brew when I am waiting.

Straight ****...
-Me

+1, one of the worst beers I've ever had! I have never poured a full beer into the sink until I tried SA Cranberry Lambic. :mad:

Another vote for the Cranberry Lambic as drainable. I got the Holiday pack for a Christmas party at my house, and the only beers left at the end were the lambics. Still have one in the fridge, having personally drank one (which was not easy) and pouring another.

Did you get it from a local store or a drive thru Amana? I must be looking for punishment but I want to try it now for some odd reason.

My local HBS has a great assortment of microbrews. He lets you mix and match selling each by the bottle.

Don't take this wrong though. Millstream brewing makes a couple descent brews and some good soda as well.

Most people over at beer advocate seemed to give this one decent reviews: Link. Maybe something was wrong with your bottle? Would it even be possible for something like that to happen?

Most people over at beer advocate seemed to give this one decent reviews: Link. Maybe something was wrong with your bottle? Would it even be possible for something like that to happen?

Yes. That is possible. Maybe I shouldn't jump to conclusions. As a matter of fact, when I pour, I try to get a little head going. Last night this beer had no head at all. Maybe that is an indication that the beer was bad.

How/why does beer go bad? Is it from heat, or exposure to sunlight? I have a liquor store with a good variety of brews but I stopped shopping there due to 4 skunked 6 packs in 3 months.

that sucks, But Outmeal Stout Lager just doesn't sound good. And how can a stout be a lager? A Stout IS an Ale.

Right with you on this. Makes no difference if you "lager" the ale to condition it. It remains an ale.

Do these "professional" brewer not know this?

+1 here as well. I couldn't finish the Cranberry Lambic. I tossed the other bottle in the Holiday pack.

impatient: that particular brew might be awful, but amana as a whole isn't that bad.

cmon between Old Maine and Amana we Iowans just have to settle for what's there (or of course, make our own brews) :p

A friend once brought over a six of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat one time. As I lifted the bottle to my lips, I inhaled and knew that I was making a huge mistake. I had the good manners to finish the bottle, but had to wash out the galling aftertaste with a couple bottles of Harp.

I understand it's a popular beer, but the flavor of it makes me nauseous.

I also remember a Polish beer that I had at another friend's bachelor party. It had a very thick maple syrup flavor. It was like going down on Mrs. Butterworth.

impatient: that particular brew might be awful, but amana as a whole isn't that bad.

cmon between Old Maine and Amana we Iowans just have to settle for what's there (or of course, make our own brews) :p

I agree. I have drank their schild brau amber, iowa pale ale, root beer and cream soda. I thought every one of these were great. So, maybe I just got a bad one. who knows. I'll have to ask the LHBS how old those sixers are.

My first craft I poured down the drain was a couple weeks ago - Boulevard Lunar Ale -- Tasted acidic, both of them! - I felt bad for a few days pouring two beers down the drain, but the taste that lingered in my mouth/head for 2 days reminded me why...

First ever drain pour "craft" beer award goes to: Atwater Block Salvation IPA. Gosh it was awful. Besides the fact that the whole 6 pack were overly carbonated borderline bottle bombs, it tasted worse than my very first extract brew. It tasted mostly of chemicals flavored with malt extract.

First ever drain pour "craft" beer award goes to: Atwater Block Salvation IPA. Gosh it was awful. Besides the fact that the whole 6 pack were overly carbonated borderline bottle bombs, it tasted worse than my very first extract brew. It tasted mostly of chemicals flavored with malt extract.

At least my six pack was mix and match. I only threw out one.

I need to give Kudos to Summit Extra Pale Ale. Excellently balance beer with I nice hoppy aroma and flavor. Something like SNPA but a little lighter cooler and less body.

I agree with many of you, the SA Cranberry Lambic was pretty awful. I managed to finish an entire bottle out of the Holiday Pack that my mother-in-law bought me, but it was definitely not by chance that the only bottle left in their fridge when we left was the 2nd Cranberry Lambic... it was awful.

My first craft I poured down the drain was a couple weeks ago - Boulevard Lunar Ale -- Tasted acidic, both of them! - I felt bad for a few days pouring two beers down the drain, but the taste that lingered in my mouth/head for 2 days reminded me why...

Interesting. I had the same experience. Then...3 days later it was about 5 degrees and I decided to give it a go again along with some rotisserie roast beef and grilled potatoes. It was nice.

I don't know if it was the cold weather, if my taste buds evolved in 3 days or the rich meat and potatoes meal blunted the taste buds.

Either way...I'd never buy a 6/12 pack.

I live a few miles away from the Millstream brewing company. I think you must of got a bad bottle, I've had many a bottles of beer and also soda and always good.

LOL my GOD the SA Cranberry Lambic is horrid.... im actually choking one down right now but i have a fairly good buzz going and dont want to waste my good beer - saving my last 6er for tomorrow's game ;)

you know what i do with beers i dont like? I make beer bread. if you have a beer you cant stand/want to get rid of, just follow this recipe:

Beer Bread Recipe : Recipezaar

whip a heavy dose of brown sugar & cinnamon into some room-temperature butter and you're in like flynn. i gare-rone-tee!!!

LOL my GOD the SA Cranberry Lambic is horrid.... im actually choking one down right now but i have a fairly good buzz going and dont want to waste my good beer - saving my last 6er for tomorrow's game ;)

you know what i do with beers i dont like? I make beer bread. if you have a beer you cant stand/want to get rid of, just follow this recipe:

Beer Bread Recipe : Recipezaar

whip a heavy dose of brown sugar & cinnamon into some room-temperature butter and you're in like flynn. i gare-rone-tee!!!

I have to try this out, Sounds great:mug:

I have never had the Cranberry Lambic but i'm sure it's terrible. I will tell you this, JW Dundee's Hefe is drainable... It's the worst hefe i've ever had in my life.

*Sigh* Well, I am sad to say that I found #2 of the brew that had to go down the drain. It unfortunately was my first Doppelbock and it tasted like utter ****. (To me) I would venture to say that this Doppelbock was a Doppleganger of that disgusting SA Lambic.

It almost made me cry to have to dump that brew. Its almost like being a kid again and learning what foods you like and dont like.
-Me

Latest posts

Back