Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goudeau

Reaction score
I have started a yeast starter with liquid Belgian Wit yeast. I know there are dead yeast in the starter because there is a darker color cake under the smaller lighter colored yeast cake. My question is, is it safe to pitch this starter? Will it take, or will it ruin my batch? Honestly it looks like there are more dead than living yeast, but there is living yeast. I do swirl it, to keep the living yeast suspended. Should I pitch it, or use the dried yeast packet I have?

That "darker colored cake" under the lighter colored cake is just trub- proteins and such from the extract from the boil. Your starter isn't dead...Everything's fine....our yeast is stronger than you think....it just doesn't "Not Work" these days... Go read what I just posted here.

Revvy I thasnk you for the time you spent to ease my concerns. I am brewing my first batch today, and was a little worried. sorry for beating a dead horse.

Back