Mesh bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festmaster

Reaction score
I am wondering what you think might be better. Using a nylon mesh bag during the boil for my hops OR using a mesh bag placed over my fermentation bucket to strain out the hops and any other sediments after the boil? For the bucket one I would just pour my wort over the mesh filter so it goes into the bucket. Do you think this would be too messy and cause oxidation? I know Aieration is good but oxidation is bad.

I am wondering what you think might be better. Using a nylon mesh bag during the boil for my hops OR using a mesh bag placed over my fermentation bucket to strain out the hops and any other sediments after the boil? For the bucket one I would just pour my wort over the mesh filter so it goes into the bucket. Do you think this would be too messy and cause oxidation? I know Aieration is good but oxidation is bad.

I use the Second method, to strain out the hops after the boil, it works well for me.

use both!! I use a hops bag during the boil. It has really cut down on the amount of trub in the fermentor. I also whirlpool and the siphon from the side the kettle to avoid the trub cone in the middle but pouring through a filter would serve basically the same purpose. Mixing oxygen/air into the wort BEFORE its fermented is a good thing (aeration). mixing air/oxygen after it has fermented is a bad thing (oxidation)

Back