Sour Kettle with Yogurt Culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I currently have 7 gallons of wort, pre-boil, that has been separated from the mash for a saison I am trying to sour in the kettle. 36 hours ago I pasteurized and chilled the wort down to 120 F before pitching 1 packet of yorgurt culture. I have kept the temperature between 100 F - 115 F by using my stove top since then. After checking the temp once again a few minutes ago I still have no sour flavor or aroma. What gives?!? I may be wrong, but the aroma I'm getting now is more reminiscent to tomato soup than to sweet wort (DMS?).

Does anyone have experience using a yogurt culture in this context? If so, did I pitch enough culture? Could I have killed it by pitching at 120 F? What might this new, odd aroma be? Should I waste good yeast on this wort, or start over again?

I've searched the site for related threads, but none were very helpful for my current situation. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

I sour in the mash, if I want a sour wort pre-boil; I've read, if I remember correctly, that its difficult to get yogurt cultures to respond in predictable ways. The lactobaccilus(sp*?) on the grain will produce a pretty predictable souring over a relitively short period of time. It won't be as complex, but it'll be stable, sour, and controlable.

You can always throw some mashed grain in with your wort and let it sit. I think the yogurt culture you're attempting is a step in the same direction with a lacto pre-boil souring.

I have done the yoghurt thing before, I used 750mls of zero fat yoghurt in ~9Gallons of wort and kept it at 90ish for 2-2.5 days. It did sour, not as much as I would have liked but it turned out pretty tasty. Give it another day or two.

Back