Fermentation Heat Output Video comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboosh

Reaction score
Alright - I know it's more or less "common knowledge" to a lot of folks on here, but I was bored and had the opportunity to provide a little video evidence of the "heat output"/byproduct of fermenting yeast.

I know for me, watching videos on u-toob really did a lot to peak my interest in brewing, so I thought if I could provide a little interest myself, why not??

It's not a perfectly scientific apples-to-apples comparison, as they're 2 different recipes/beer styles with 2 different yeasts, but I thought it was interesting. You can literally feel the difference in temp with your hand on the outside of the carboys.

FWIW, it's EdWort's Wounded knee IPA on the left, and "my" American Brown Ale recipe on the right (my first stab at my own recipe... if it doesn't suck I might put it in the recipe board).

Last edited by a moderator:
A good visual. I have never had a primary fermentation in glass so it's always cool for me to see how active it actually is during that phase. Nice post.

Prosted! (cause it's a common question around here)

Back