Poor Richard's Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I'm taking about half of the batch to the Oregon Brew Crew meeting tonight. I think the flavor is dominated by the biscuit and special roast, despite the 2.5 pounds of corn. This is going to become a regular for me. The next run, I'll back off enough to make it a session ale.

Anyone else make a batch?

I haven't made one but it is still on the shortlist.

I LOVE the idea of it but I want to go all the way--by serving through a beer engine.

What recipe did you end up doing? Can you post it?

Well received at the meeting, lots of funny faces were made while tasting. I love watching people try to figure out what's different about the ale, and if they like it.

8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
2.50 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
1.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Great Britain 1.035 35
1.00 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
2 oz Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
8 oz Molasses Black Strap 1.036 80

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Cascades 6 60 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. leaf 4.4 30 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. leaf 4.4 15 min.
Irish Moss at 30 minutes

Yeast White Labs Cal. V

Mash-in 16 quarts at 170F with 5.2 buffer Mash temp. 154F
1/3 decoction at 30 minutes mash temp. 152F
Total mash time 90 minutes

First run 1 gallon
Batch sparge 5 gallons 170F with 5.2
Second sparge 2.5 gallons (boiled down to 1.5 gallons)

7.5 gallons total wort
5.75 gallons at 1076 to primary.

david_42 said:
I'm taking about half of the batch to the Oregon Brew Crew meeting tonight. I think the flavor is dominated by the biscuit and special roast, despite the 2.5 pounds of corn. This is going to become a regular for me. The next run, I'll back off enough to make it a session ale.

Anyone else make a batch?

Dude, that was your keg of "Poor Richards" at the last meeting? I thought that stuff was awesome! I'm the bald guy who was wearing a hoodie sweatshirt with the skulls all over it. If I remember correctly you were trying to squeeze the last few drips from the keg into my cup! So I got to savor the last tasty drink!!!

Thanks buddy

Yah, the David with the black hat. Glad you liked it. I was a little disapointed no one else had a version.

I'm brewing the Poor Richard's on Monday (7/17/06) and hope it turns out as well as the recommendation in this posting. So far, I'm batting 1.000 because the Caramel Cream Ale that everyone raves about from this site is truly awesome!

The only difference in my recipe and Dave's will be that I've got 1/2 pounds more of Maris Otter and I'm only using East Kent Goldings. It was the recommendation fo Tony Simmons (sp?), who apparently won a contest with his version of Poor Richard's Ale based on much personal research of what ingredients were possible in Ben Franklin's day.

We'll see.

Back