Storing crushed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
Ok. Like a fool I ordered two extract kits from Midwest brewing with the specialty grains crushed. At the time I didn't think about the fact that I wouldn't get to brewing them right away. I have read several threads on this subject but have got mixed answers. Some say put it in the fridge and some say do not to and just keep them in an air tight bag. I should be able to brew one this Friday which would be a week since i got them. The other I won't get to until the first one is at least out of the primary and into a secondary. So did I screw the pooch on this one as far as my grain goes?

Put them in the fridge but not the freezer, they will last just fine in the fridge, a fridge is used to preserve food longer than leaving it at room temps, grain is food use the fridge.

Cheers :mug:

i put crushed grain in the freezer all time; i just keep it sealed. the fridge is fine for a couple weeks, though

According to malt manufacturers you should leave them in an airtight container at room temperature at 65-75 degrees F. The Great Western Malting Co. suggests that you should use milled/crushed grain within 3 months of receipt. The sooner the better, but as long as you use them within this time frame everything should be fine. Also make sure they don't get wet and are not stored in a moist/humid area such as a garage or possibly an unfinished/un-insulated basement.

One for fridge, one for freezer, one for room temp.... :)
I will go with the fridge since they have already have been in there for a few days. We will see how it goes. Thanks guys!

Good luck on your brewing, let us know how you brew turns out, likegwdraper4 said use within 3 mo and your all good, and the sooner grain is used the better=fresher grain.

Cheers :mug:

It's more important to keep them dry and airtight. If you have room in the fridge, great, but if not, don't worry about it.

I've never ordered from midwest, but the kits I have done come with the specialty grain in vacuum sealed bags. If midwest does the same I wouldn't worry about it. You've got to figure they expect the kits to have a shelf life of at least the couple of weeks you're concerned with.

Other solution, buy another primary and do them both on Friday (you know you're going to want more fermenters eventually right... :) )

HAHA I should get another primary. That would solve the problem. But then I would need to get more bottle too!!! It is a slippery slope.

The midwest grain in the kits just comes in a ziplock type bag but it is not vaccuum sealed. I took a straw and sucked out as much air as I could so that will just have to do.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Back