Brewing water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
I just got my detailed report of my water from Ward lab. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this water; if I would need to add gypsum and/or epsom salt since my chloride to sulfate ratio is high and I have low amounts of calcium? I wanted to make an Irish red ale for my next patch; This water profile would fit an Irish red wouldnt it?
Also, this is going to be my first all grain batch, so any guidance with this water would help

pH, 7.9
Sodium, Na 33
Potassium, K 1
Calcium, Ca 58
Magnesium, Mg 13
Total Hardness, CaCO3 199
Nitrate, NO3-N 5.2 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 7
Chloride, Cl 77
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 127
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 104

That water is not bad at all. Do they use chlorine or chloramine? I would plug it into Bru'n Water to see what adjustments you need.

Definitely no more magnesium for most brews. Don't worry too much about the sulfate/chloride ratio, but recognize that the chloride level is fairly high and you may not want to add too much more in most cases. The alkalinity is modestly high and is likely to need neutralization for some brews. That alkalinity must be reduced for the sparging water, so get used to acidifying your water to control the alkalinity.

SInce my chloride may be to high for most beers, is there anyway to lower my chloride levels?

SInce my chloride may be to high for most beers, is there anyway to lower my chloride levels?

Your chloride isn't really too high, but since your alkalinity is high also I'd suggest diluting your tap water with reverse omosis water anyway. That would reduce the alkalinity as well as the chloride.

since my next batch is going to be an Irish red, wouldn't my alkalinity be good for that style. John palmers book fits my alkalinity with an amber/red ale

Back