suggestions for second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjmac85

Reaction score
First brew will be ready to switch to secondary on Saturday. Already looking forward to making another batch. What should it be? Equipment is a basic starter kit. First batch was a malt extract pale ale. Would like to try a different style but still on the easier side of things. Suggestions?

I recommend doing a wheat beer. You can get an an extract kit which will accommodate your hardware. Plus, depending on your location, it may start warming up soon which will be a good complement a lighter beer. I suppose a dry stout would be time appropriate for march too.

Try an ipa. You can brew it according to recipe or have some fun and buy a few extra ounces of pellet hops or whole hops and dry hop it in your secondary. Put the hops in a sanitized muslin bag with a couple sanitized marbles and then just siphon around them and bottle out if your secondary or a bottling bucket.

House is normally kept at a steady 75ish. Outside is not much different being in Hawaii. What are the temps needed for a wheat beer?

I recommend doing a wheat beer. You can get an an extract kit which will accommodate your hardware. Plus, depending on your location, it may start warming up soon which will be a good complement a lighter beer. I suppose a dry stout would be time appropriate for march too.

A dry stout is a bit more of a intermediate/advanced style which requires AG, an oatmeal stout is what I would recommend.

Very hard to screw up, and if your ferm temps are a little high any off-flavors occur they will be masked by the roasted grains.

House is normally kept at a steady 75ish. Outside is not much different being in Hawaii. What are the temps needed for a wheat beer?

75° is at or just above the upper end for all of Wyeast's wheat strains. But you have to remember that fermentation is an exothermic process, so your fermenting beer will be several degrees higher than the ambient temp. So you'd want your ambient temps in the mid 60's.

You might try a saison, they like it hot - up to 95°.

But if you have any kind of temp control, even a swamp cooler, you can do just about anything you want ale-wise.

I use a tub, blanket, and a few frozen water bottles. Was told that should do the trick for now. Think I might try the oatmeal stout then.

yeah a lambic beer or very fruity ale with the right yeast u'll be fine. Wyeast 5733 is ur friend. I'd also suggest putting some fruit into secondary and more amylase enzyme and yeast. If you want to go real crazy about it, you can do triple decoction.

yeah a lambic beer or very fruity ale with the right yeast u'll be fine. Wyeast 5733 is ur friend. I'd also suggest putting some fruit into secondary and more amylase enzyme and yeast. If you want to go real crazy about it, you can do triple decoction.

This guy looks like a troll - ignore this.

I would second the wheat as a good choice for this batch or the next, you will be able to drink it sooner than many styles. As far as the stout, it's actually easy to do a dry stout with extract and steeping roasted barley. Oats I think need to be mashed to get their full character and convert their starches.

Your cooling set up sounds like a basic swamp cooler. As was mentioned you should be able to achieve appropriate ale temps pretty well with this and swapping out the water bottles.

Welcome to the hobby! :mug:

Pale ales are mostly what I brew as it's my favorite style, you can get a lot of variety within that style alone by trying different hops, steeping grains and yeasts. What's your favorite style of beer to drink?

This guy looks like a troll - ignore this.

I would second the wheat as a good choice for this batch or the next, you will be able to drink it sooner than many styles. As far as the stout, it's actually easy to do a dry stout with extract and steeping roasted barley. Oats I think need to be mashed to get their full character and convert their starches.

Your cooling set up sounds like a basic swamp cooler. As was mentioned you should be able to achieve appropriate ale temps pretty well with this and swapping out the water bottles.

Welcome to the hobby! :mug:

Oats are actually the only grain that has beta-globulin that's easily dissolved. Talking about trolls ... Don't call someone a troll when u troll urself..

At the moment don't really have a favorite. I find that the more I try the more I like certain ones of every type.

I've got the Northern Brewer Broken Spear Bitter kit sitting on my table ready for my next brew day.

It looks to be a super simple kit. Doesn't even recommend a secondary in the instructions. Extract with specialty grains. 2 ounces of hops.

And it feels cool to be doing a limited edition kit.

It may not be on the opposite end of the spectrum from your IPA first batch, but it is certainly a different style.

Back