Keg or Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegs or Bottles

• Keg

• Bottle

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

anteup

Reaction score
Do you prefer kegs or bottles? This question also goes out to cider makers as well.

first vote!!

I perfer.... other. Kegging is nice but bottling is convienent (espically in the winter). With the 10g batches ive been doing i bottle half and keg half and that is a good balance IMHO.

I prefer bottles. I've only kegged one batch so far, but for what I do with my homebrew, it was actually a bigger pain to deal with than bottling. Half the reason I like brewing is sharing my brew with friends and family, and that's kinda hard to do with one 5 gallon container when I've got people in 3 or 4 different cities that want to try some. Bottling can be a pain, but it's just so much easier to distribute out to friends.

I like the ease of kegging, but I like the portability of bottling.

My keezer is on the 1st floor of my house, and my living area is on the 2nd floor so I have to make a few trips down the steps when drinking kegged beer. Of course that is a benefit because I am burning calories while doing so. :D

I find bottling very soothing. Like phenry said, I share my brew with friends and family for tastings and notes. It wouldn't work so well to take the keg with me when I visit them.

Plus, there is something fun in setting up a bunch of bottles, turning on some music, opening a homebrew (or 3) and sipping on that while filling bottles. I just make sure I have a few hours set aside and enjoy a nice, relaxing afternoon.

I make beer and cider. I prefer kegs, but I bottle a few as well. When I bottle:
-To bottle carb a sample while the rest is batch aging, for taste tests.
-Extra beer in fermenter...don't want to be wasteful.
-Small batch, not worth wasting CO2 on headspace.
-Going to a friends house.
-Like the batch and want to save a few for a later time.
-Insurance policy against having a keg empty unexpectedly.
-The urge to make a bottle label (sounds like a weird reason...but it's fun)
-Show my wife that I'm keeping all those bottles for a reason...after I promised they'd all go away after I started kegging :p
-Being surrounded by bottles makes me feel like a monk.
-Despite all the work, bottling is somehow cathartic. Even more so when you have this underlying knowledge that you don't have to bottle beer.

Other. I keg everything, but bottle a few from the keg once it's ready to serve for portability and storage.

I voted keg as I have only bottled one full batch ever and thought it was a royal pain in the arse. I do bottle 2 bombers from every keg to age and taste later just for fun. I recently opened a bottle of my 1st beer ever. It was only a year ago and came from a kit wheat that was just ok. I have growlers to take to parties and share with friends.

I perfer Kegs. I have five taps and it allows me a great selection. I do own a beer gun so I do bottle a few here and there when I want to take them some place. I don't dislike bottling but I perfer to keg. I can keg a beer in under 15 minutes so I can do it when I have a small amount of time.

I just started kegging after Christmas, and I don't see ever going back. The convenience that comes with kegging (once you have the setup) just can't be beat by bottles.

I do miss some of the portability that comes from bottling, but I've got plans to invest in some sort of home-made beer gun, as well as a few growlers.

Kegs definitely. Takes a 5 min to keg 10 gal, versus hours to bottle and a PITA.

Who says you can't take kegs places? I do all the time. Plus if I just want to take a few beers places I either fill a growler or 2, or turn the pressure down and fill a few bottles straight from the tap. I actually got a medal in a recent big competition from filling my bottles from the tap, and they spent over a month in the bottles.

That being said, beers I want to age I bottle. My 16% stout I force carbed in a keg then bottled from there with a beer gun. All these wild ales will be in primary for around a year, then bottling, and aging, cracking one open here and there.

Here's another "other" vote. I usually keg, but I make a lot of small batch beers (1.25 Gal), that I don't want to have sitting in my kegerator for that long. These are also usually specialty and seasonal beers that I like to share with friends.

Kegs hands down. If I want to transport some beer I just grab the beer gun and fill some bottles or a growler, and I don't have to worry about the beer getting cloudy with sediment as I take it over to a friends house. Nothing better than to pull a draft beer that you made....from a keggerator, that you also made. :mug:

I have 11 different beers in bottles and I like to choose what kind I would like at any time. I can keep all 11 varieties in the refrigerator at one time but the expense of kegs, kegerator and 11 taps seems a little much. Oh, I forgot that one still in the fermenter and the one I want to brew tomorrow and ...... I might have 15 varieties before I kill the first variety.

votes still being counted. but kegging seems to be the way. but i like the other option as to doing both.

I bottled for about a year and got a system down, dishwasher, caps soaking in Star San, priming sugar on the stove.....blah....
Kegging is so much faster, a few days force carbing blame your good to go.

kegging.

when i need to transport my masterpiece, i just fill up a growler from the keg. stays carbonated for about 5 days or so depending on temperature.

Kegging all the way, I plan on making a beer gun though so I can bottle a few to bring to my parents or friends or whatever

I must be a sick individual, because I love to bottle. It's very hands on and almost theraputic to me. I kind of get in a groove and it doesn't take very long. Also I like to share my craft with others and 1 liter bottles are easy to give and most of the time I get them back too. The freinds and associates that I share with really appreciate a good well made beer, so I give them a liter to taste test. Most of my brews have been extracts and not very innovative or different, but have turned out well so far. I'm still a relative noob because I have been brewing less than a year and less than 50 gallons of brew 5 gallons at a time. I'm stilllearning and accumulating AG equipment. Hope to be Ag brewing by July if I dont have any more unplanned trips to the hospital. Have a great day and hope this helps folks interested in bottling.
Bob

My keezer is on the 1st floor of my house, and my living area is on the 2nd floor so I have to make a few trips down the steps when drinking kegged beer. Of course that is a benefit because I am burning calories while doing so. :D

You just need to run a long tap line to the 2nd floor

I'd prefer to keg, but I can afford to bottle.

I bottle, but I just started brewing. Getting a good system now, and the folks at the bottle depot are pretty cool, they set aside the 500 mL and 650 mL bottles for me to sell back to me. $0.25 a bottle plus a little soak in bleach cleaner and they are pretty much brand new, clean and de-labled. And most match because they come from the local craft breweries.

Kegs for sure. I bottled my first two batches and bought my kegging set up. I have 7 kegs, so plenty of pipeline.

I currently bottle as that is all I am able to do. If I had the space I would key for sure, but living in a 1 bedroom apt. I just am not able to do it.

Latest posts

Back