Reading material???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
So besides here and John Palmer's book; Does anyone have a recomendation for a book, magazine...etc where I can find some instructional advice as well as recipes, equipment...etc?

I find with all the threads here and all the hijacking that happens that it is very difficult to find the answer to my questions unless I start my own thread. Then I seem to get only limited responses. (its probably my wording or something Im doing)

Not trying to bash HBT at all, I love this place and it is my go-to resource for home brew knowledge. I just like to have as many resources as possible.

Thank you!

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels is the singlemost influential piece of literature that I've gotten on brewing. Classic Styles by Jamil is good to steal recipes from and modify. But Designing Great Beers will teach you how to make a recipe of your own. It teaches you what the characteristics of each beer style are and what ingredients create those characteristics. :mug:

+ 2 for the books above. You can also look at getting a subscription to Brew Your Own.

My 3 main references for Advanced General brewing kowledge are (in order of importance);

Designing Great Beers - Daniels
New Brewing lager beer - Noonan
Principles of Brewing Science - Fix

Beyond those I like the Classic Styles series'. If I had it to do again I'd forgo the Papazian/Mosher/Caligione/Palmer books and collect the series.

Brewers Companion and Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.
The Classic Styles Series
A long time ago I had a subscription to Zymurgy magazine(really liked it . is it still around?)

Chardo

Zymurgy is still available.

To the OP, take a look at the Wiki as well. It's way underutilized and has most of the information here on the forum, minus the fluff.

The complete joy of homebrewing is also very good. I haven't read it in years, but for starting off it was as good as palmer's.

All except the part on sours. If I remember correctly, he recommended sour mashing for a flanders. No.

Thread hijacking?? Absurd!

I love this place, especially since I started using the advanced search function. Of course, it's not the same as having a reference book, but the two you have are great resources. Designing great beers seems to have a large following, although I have never read it myself.

I still like the variety of opinions and techniques to be found here.

I enjoyed the second part of Designing Great Beers more than anything. The beer history is pretty interesting.

Latest posts

Back