keggle help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
I have decided to jump into AG brewing. I have two kegs that I want to convert to a HLT and a boil pot. I plan on using a cooler as a MLT. in a stroke of luck a customer of mine at work builds stainless steal refrigeration units for restaurants. He said he could cut the tops off and weld a piece on that I can attach a ball valve to. Said he would do this for 25 bucks so I plan on jumping on it.

now here's my question(s)... what do I need to make sure he does? What else should I get him to do? Acquiring these kegs took a long time so I don't want them screwed up and at the same time I want everything I need.

All help and suggestions that you all can give me is very much appreciated!

Prob. the biggest thing is to make sure he purges the tank when he welds it to prevent "sugaring." The next thing would be to decide if you want a lid or not, so that if you do, he can cut the hole to fit the lid.

i have the same setup that you want to do, make sure that he puts at least 3 1/2" couplers in each keggle. also make sure that 2 are in the bottom part of the keg, this way you can set one for the valve and one for the temp/sight glass, then if you have another 1/2" coupler SS in the middle you can use it for recirculation if you need. if you have him do both the same, you can then inter change them if you need. If you can, put in the most couplers in now, 5 at most, look around at where other ppl are putting them. i found cheep alum lids at a cooking supply store that fit the top well. good price and like most of life, the more holes the better.

Back