Identify this Coopers yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscraig

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 7g packet of Coopers yeast that comes in a gold pack. It didn't come in a kit though, so I'm not sure what kind of yeast it is. On the back, by the barcode, is the number 16508.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately all Cooper's yeast comes in gold foil now. Best thing is to call there service line. I have called twice, they are pleasant to deal with.

If there's no phonic/letter after the date code it should be their standard dried ale yeast from Mauri.

Your yeast is dated the 165th day of 2008.

If there's no phonic/letter after the date code it should be their standard dried ale yeast from Mauri.

Your yeast is dated the 165th day of 2008.

No. No letter. 2008 huh? Should I even consider using 2 year old yeast?

2 years isn't excessive for a dry yeast that has been stored in a cool environment. You can always make a starter, if you want to be certain. Any dead yeast become food for the live ones.

Throw caution to the wind and pitch it. I've used Nottingham and US-56 that was over 2 years old without a problem. Just brewed an all grain brown ale using Coopers yeast. My main yeast is WLP 002 English Ale but wanted to test the Coopers. Pitched straight from package and fermented at 66F. It is a little different but really wasn't bad if using appropriate temps.

165th day of 2008 isn't the expiration date, it's the date it was packaged. It's good till 165th day of 2010.

Back