I added the priming sugar but didn't have any bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetravus

Reaction score
Hola amigos,

Bad news from homebrew land. I was all set to bottle up the latest in my computer-themed brews (a stout affectionately named Have You Tried ReStouting), when tragedy struck. I added in my priming sugar, filled up a few bottles, and attempted to cap them, when I realized that the bottles that had been donated to me were all twist offs! The glass started to crack and shatter as I applied pressure, so I gathered up all such underperforming bottles and chucked them into the recycling.

Afterwards, I resealed my fermenter and let the yeast do its work on the priming sugar. There were some bubbles in the airlock, but thankfully it's been over a week now and it's all settled down. In the meantime, I was able to get some more appropriate bottles from a friend of mine. I'm ready to bottle again now, but my question is...is it safe to re-prime my batch? And if so, do I use another measured dose of priming sugar, or should I use less (since there's bound to be a little leftover from the first dose)?

Again, thanks to you all for your limitless knowledge. As with my previous batch (Error Lager), I will be posting the label as soon as I get a few hours to play around in Photoshop. Happy brewing!

I would think that you should be OK with re-priming the batch. Though I would take a hydrometer reading today and perhaps a few days later to make sure the FG is steady. Better to check and be safe than make a bunch of bottle bombs!

Comparing the SG to the FG is a good idea(assuming you measured the final gravity)
But I agree with ReverseApacheMaster in that you should be fine re-priming since it has been a few days! Good luck!

Heh, yeah, I think you better re-name this one.

"Have you tried re-stouting, because this is re-primed"
"Double Prime Time"

Back