force carb after 7 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
I've got a 3 tap system and currently have a nice oatmeal stout and an IPA running. I'm having friends over for the Super Bowl next Sunday. I brewed a Belgin Wit yesterday (Sat.) with the hope of racking it right to the keg after 7 days in the primary and force carbonating it next Sat. to drink on Sunday. Will I be ok? I've never force carbonated. How would I go about this if I want to drink the beer the next day? Am I being too optimistic? Thanks

I don't like Wits, but no ale is ready to drink in a week. By the same token, I doubt anyone would notice while watching the SB.

david_42 said:
I don't like Wits, but no ale is ready to drink in a week. By the same token, I doubt anyone would notice while watching the SB.

Particularly if you give them the stout and IPA first. But in all seriousness, yeah...a week is a bit short.

I'd have to agree that no ale is completely ready to drink in a week, BUT, it will taste fine and you can still have sufficient levels of carbonation. Like they've said above, nobody is going to notice at the Super Bowl if it hasn't "aged"long enough.

Don't know about wits but some light english beers are good to go after a few weeks start to finish.

I've just done a Boddington's that tastes good enough to me after 5 days primary 13 days secondary. As soon as It's carbed I'll be in for the duration. :mug:

It's going to taste really green. But some folks like that. It takes a while longer for the maltier taste to shine through. If your a big hop fan, it'll probably be alright to drink. Have a glass of water handy though as it will leave you with drymouth.

For the quick carb, I set the regulator at about 20 PSI and connect the gas to the out post. Lay the keg on it's side on the floor and gently roll and agitate for about 30 minutes. Seems like a long time but you can sit on the couch and roll it with your feet while sipping some homebrew. Set the keg back in the frig and set the regulator at your serving pressure. Let it sit for a couple of hours and you should have a good carb. If not repeat the first steps with 20 PSI. The keg needs to be chilled to your serving temperature prior to force carbonating for this to work.

stlbasementbrewer said:
For the quick carb, I set the regulator at about 20 PSI and connect the gas to the out post. Lay the keg on it's side on the floor and gently roll and agitate for about 30 minutes. Seems like a long time but you can sit on the couch and roll it with your feet while sipping some homebrew. Set the keg back in the frig and set the regulator at your serving pressure. Let it sit for a couple of hours and you should have a good carb. If not repeat the first steps with 20 PSI. The keg needs to be chilled to your serving temperature prior to force carbonating for this to work.

I do 30 psi for 10 minutes, rocking it vigorously back and forth in my lap.

If its that fresh you may consider filtering it into the keg. I've done that with just a regular "loner" filter and pump from the brew shop. and it cleared it up nice than I did just like the other said and force "Quick" carbed it. it was good to go next day. but I must say it did taste better after a month. it was a Pale Ale.

Latest posts

Back