Barrel Sanitizing Emergency!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
OK folks, I need some help ASAP. I'm leaving town till next Tuesday in about an hour. I just filled my barrel with sanitizing solution based on the following info from Brewtopia:

When the barrel was finally sealed, I mixed up a solution of (1) ounce of sodium metabisulphite and half (1/2) ounce of citric acid per gallon of water. Make two (2) to three (3) gallons of solution for larger barrels. Pour in the solution, close the bung, and roll the barrel about so that all interior parts of the barrel are contacted by the solution.

I made 15 gallons of solution. When I was just cleaning up I relized I swapped the amounts. Meaning, I put 1 oz of Citric Acid per gallon and 1/2 oz sodium metabisulphite per gallon. Is this an issue? Should I dump NOW?

I would dilute with some more water, worse case scenario you lose some of the meta cleaning power. You probably don't want anything that acidic in them though.

Double the amount of water you have in there and add 1.5oz sodium metabisulphite per gallon of total water (including that which you just added). That should give you the right amounts. Please do double-check my math though.

Thanks guys. I didn't get any responses before hitting the road so I just left it as is. I guess I'll make some adjustments when I get back in 4 days.

Back