Questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of beer yesterday and all went well. I am reluctant to say but I might be getting the hang of this. However a few questions come up. I was hoping you guys might be able to enlighten me a bit ;) .

1. How did you guys go about marking gallons on your keggle?

2. It seems like I have read that when recirculating (Vorloft sp?). You should be able to get clear beer in about a quart. So far it takes me 3-4 quarts before I can open up the valve. Is this a problem or is it just indicative of my system? -or- maybe it is technique.

3. I was going to aerate with an SS air-stone and aquarium pump for about 15 min. (that was my plan anyway). After only a few minutes (3-4) the wort was so foamy I had to turn the pump off. To keep the foam from over running the carboy. Clearly doing this in a bucket would be easier. However I would like to find a way to keep from making another dirty bucket.

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

1. I used a metal scribe to mark the graduations on my kettle. Some people mark a metal or wooden stick that you can place in the kettle to determine the volume.

2. My wort clears by 2 quarts but I don't think I would worry if your takes more. I use a stainless braid. I think it's vorlauf.

3. Aquarium pumps produce more foam than the straight O2 and it takes longer. It's just part of the process.

Chris_Dog said:
1. How did you guys go about marking gallons on your keggle?

I went to lowes and bout a dowel and marked them with a notch. Otherwise you can install a sight glass.

Chris_Dog said:
2. It seems like I have read that when recirculating (Vorloft sp?). You should be able to get clear beer in about a quart. So far it takes me 3-4 quarts before I can open up the valve. Is this a problem or is it just indicative of my system? -or- maybe it is technique.

It takes me about 2 quarts to get my runnings clear on my 10 gallon cooler MLT with a stainless braid. I have my keggle underneath it with a silicon hose ready to go and I crack the valve on the MLT so it runs very slowly. After about 2 quarts (or one beer pitcher from the Wurst Fest), the runnings are clear so I shove the hose on the nipple and open the valve all the way. I repeat on the second batch.

Chris_Dog said:
3. I was going to aerate with an SS air-stone and aquarium pump for about 15 min. (that was my plan anyway). After only a few minutes (3-4) the wort was so foamy I had to turn the pump off. To keep the foam from over running the carboy. Clearly doing this in a bucket would be easier. However I would like to find a way to keep from making another dirty bucket.

Just be patient, wait for the foam to subside a bit and turn it back on. At this stage your wort is protected by glass & foam. Doing it in a bucket and then racking to the carboy is more work IMO. I use an O2 bottle and a stainless wand with the stone. 45 seconds of O2 and I'm golden.

1. I marked my large stainless spoon with gallon marks. I filled the keggle with a gallon of water, slipped the spoon in until it just touched the surface and marked it. I continued on until I had 9 gallon marks.

2. I usually vourlof about 2 gallons. I want the wort to get semi clear with no chunks flowing out.

3. I agree that an O2 system will work much faster with less foam. :mug:

Latest posts

Back