Bottle conditioning darkened my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBCBrewmaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does any one have any thoughts as to why my bottle conditioned belgian golden strong ale got several degrees darker than the stuff I kegged? Both are from the same exact batch. I did add more yeast to the unfermented beer in addition to the priming sugar. It tastes the same except for a slight difference in carbonation but it's taken on a brownish hue.

Thanks

Does any one have any thoughts as to why my bottle conditioned belgian golden strong ale got several degrees darker than the stuff I kegged? Both are from the same exact batch. I did add more yeast to the unfermented beer in addition to the priming sugar. It tastes the same except for a slight difference in carbonation but it's taken on a brownish hue.

Thanks

Oxidation can darken a beer. Is it possible that the bottling wand caused some foaming?

I don't recall any foaming but there would have been some air left in the neck at least. I'm sitting here sipping and tasting carefully and I think I detect a slight sherry flavor. It's hiding under the intensity of the malt yeast and alcohol. I didn't notice it at first. I don't see why I'd have this problem with this beer. I been bottle conditioning for a few years now and don't recall this kind of issue before. But then again I'm still training my palate. I think this is a learning experience. How can I avoid air in the neck when I bottle condition? With my beer gun I can purge the neck with co2 but then I;m not bottle conditioning.

You know, now that I think about it, Why can't I just transfer the beer to a keg with the sugar then use my beer gun to fill the bottles and then I can purge the neck with co2?

Research Maillard Reactions:

Maillard reactions continue to happen even after the beer is bottled. Beers that are cellared will continue to darken and change in complexity due to the maillard reactions. Since heat is a factor in the maillard reaction the temperature that you store your beer at affects how fast the beer will stale. You can thus extend the drinkability life of a beer by storing it at refrigerator temps.

Research Maillard Reactions:

Maillard reactions continue to happen even after the beer is bottled. Beers that are cellared will continue to darken and change in complexity due to the maillard reactions. Since heat is a factor in the maillard reaction the temperature that you store your beer at affects how fast the beer will stale. You can thus extend the drinkability life of a beer by storing it at refrigerator temps.

Well, this beer was stored in my basement after bottling for only about 2 months. However, the temp down there was about 72-75 F. I have other beer that I bottled arround the same time that hasn't had any issues but that beer was force carbonated and bottled with the beer gun.

I've seen color changes in my bottle conditioned beer too, except my special bitters went from brownish to orange-ish. The water from our tap is very soft, and I am just learning about Ca and all the other ions necessary for each style. I hope when I get the water right the product will be more stable.

ps. I like the bottling keg idea!

Back