75 minute ipa yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
This dogfish head beer is bottle conditioned. I know breweries will often use lager yeast to do this. I was wondering if there's a way to tell if dfh used lagers yeast or their propriety ale strain? If its their doggie strain then I ld like to harvest it

You might email them and ask, or just harvest some and see what happens.

I would suspect that an ale would use ale yeast and a lager would use lager yeast in a commercial situation.

I did recently brewed a California Common which uses lager yeasts fermented at ale temperatures. It is considered a hybrid beer.

I was told by a local brewer that often ale and hefeweizens are bottle conditioned using lager yeast in commercial breweries. That was my concern

I haven't heard anyone say they've isolated it so I figured dfh might not want their yeast out In the homebrew world

Nope, no point in asking them. I did about a handful of things and was told that as they are a publicly traded company the information is proprietary and not to be released. Now I would assume though that this only applies to direct inquiries and not to info you can find in interviews etc.... So it maybe out there, you just can't get them to tell ya athing

Nope, no point in asking them. I did about a handful of things and was told that as they are a publicly traded company the information is proprietary and not to be released. Now I would assume though that this only applies to direct inquiries and not to info you can find in interviews etc.... So it maybe out there, you just can't get them to tell ya athing

Further to this ^... I've posted this before, but on my first tour to DFH, I asked them if they could tell me what strain the "mystery hop X" was that they used to reference on marketing for 60 min...their tongue in cheek answer was that if I could provide them with the recipe for original Coke, they would share the recipe for 60 min...

I've further wondered whether anyone would notice if, should I happen to bring a sanitized jar with me on the tour, I happened to get a little sample from the happy active blow off tube coming from one of the many fermenters you walk by...

And even further...It surprises me that Sam, being the businessman he is, hasn't made a deal with Wyeast or WhiteLabs to release their proprietary yeast commercially...

I just got my stir plate last week and I happened to drink a bottle of 75 minute that night. I figured what the heck, I brewed up a small starter and stepped it up a couple of times. I can't say for sure which yeast I harvested but it smelled nice and seemed pretty healthy. I pitched the starter today into a single hop citra IPA. It's my first time culturing from a bottle so we'll see what happens. :mug:

That's awesome. That's exactly what I want to do. I want to get some on a slant first to save for a while tho. I guess it doesn't what yeast it is if it has characteristics we like and using it in a batch will be the best way to judge

Here's the answer i got this morning. Not only were they fast with the reply but they were nice as hell.

"Mike,

Since we don’t filter 75 minute and the centrifuge is not 100% efficient, it will be a mixture of our Doggie yeast and a secondary strain we use for bottle conditioning, but primarily it will be the secondary strain. The secondary strain is part of our yeast cocktail, we use to ferment the majority of beers that are >12% alcohol.

Have fun trying to culture it up and see what you can make.

Cheers."

Latest posts

Back