Mash Schedule question for Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I decided to try out some rye in my next batch, and I really want some good rye flavor in it. I am using 25% rye, 15% Crystal, 60% American 2-row. I'm wondering though what sort of mash schedule I should use. Typically I do a single-infusion since I've got a zappap type setup at the moment, but should I consider a glucan or protein rest? I'd also like suggestions on what temp I should mash to have a crisp beer--I've never brewed with rye myself, but I'm sure looking forward to it.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

No special mash schedule is needed, but you have to use rice hulls. I've used 152F for my Bent Rod Rye with good results.

I did get rice hulls per the advice of my LHBS guy. I failed to ask him about the b-glucan rest though. I think I'll probably do it, I've just got to get more sophisticated with my temps and volumes.

Should I use <1qt/lb. grain for the b-glucan rest, and then add hot water to 1.5qt/lb. total up to mash temp? Or do I need the full mash volume for b-glucan and then remove some wort back to my kettle and boil to get up to 154?

Back