5 Gallon in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyace00

Reaction score
My first 5 gallon batch has been in the secondary for a week, the fermenting has dropped alot. The Airlock may burp once every few minutes. Should I wait till it has completely stopped before bottling? Also I added Bananas when i racked it to the secondary, that seems to be still floating at the top should it all fall?

What do you mean "dropped a lot?" Are you referring to the krausen? The bananas probably won't "fall" unless they were mashed up prior to adding. Airlock burp has nothing to do with the status of fermentation. Take gravity readings.

Personally, I leave it in secondary for at least 4 weeks (usually about 8 weeks). I brewed an English Bitter that turned out a bit too carbonated due to too short a time in secondary.

Have some patience and have a beer.

What do you mean "dropped a lot?" Are you referring to the krausen? The bananas probably won't "fall" unless they were mashed up prior to adding. Airlock burp has nothing to do with the status of fermentation. Take gravity readings.

The frequency of the bubbling in the airlock

dbreienrk1 said:
This doesn't make sense to me. Can you please explain your statement?

I left the beer in secondary for only 3-4 weeks. When I bottled, I used a very small amount of sugar to prime. The bottles were foaming over when opened and you could taste a bit too much carbonation. I knew it wasn't from the bottling sugar, so I asked a brewer friend. Apparently if you don't leave beers in secondary (or primary for that matter) for long enough the extra fermentable sugar can over carbonate the bottles after time sealed in the bottle. In the case of adding fruit to the secondary, this is especially relevant.

I left the beer in secondary for only 3-4 weeks. When I bottled, I used a very small amount of sugar to prime. The bottles were foaming over when opened and you could taste a bit too much carbonation. I knew it wasn't from the bottling sugar, so I asked a brewer friend. Apparently if you don't leave beers in secondary (or primary for that matter) for long enough the extra fermentable sugar can over carbonate the bottles after time sealed in the bottle. In the case of adding fruit to the secondary, this is especially relevant.

Once again this doesn't make any sense to me. Primary fermentation is when almost all of the available sugars are convertered to alcohol and this is achieved within the first 3 to 7 days. If you left a beer in the secondary for four weeks, i can almost guarantee your over-carbonation had nothing to do with too short of a time in the secondary. What was the OG of the beer your are referring to?

dbreienrk1 said:
Once again this doesn't make any sense to me. Primary fermentation is when almost all of the available sugars are convertered to alcohol and this is achieved within the first 3 to 7 days. If you left a beer in the secondary for four weeks, i can almost guarantee your over-carbonation had nothing to do with too short of a time in the secondary. What was the OG of the beer your are referring to?

I'll have to look it up in my brewbook, it was about a year ago when I was just starting out. I'll also ask my friend what he was talking about in case I totally misinterpreted the meaning of what he was saying. Since I've started leaving my beers in secondary much longer, I have had great carbonation and no problems.

I'll have to look it up in my brewbook, it was about a year ago when I was just starting out. I'll also ask my friend what he was talking about in case I totally misinterpreted the meaning of what he was saying. Since I've started leaving my beers in secondary much longer, I have had great carbonation and no problems.

I'm happy your process is working out for you. One should only move to secondary after primary is completed. Little fermentation occurs after primary unless additional sugars are added.

Personally, I leave it in secondary for at least 4 weeks (usually about 8 weeks). I brewed an English Bitter that turned out a bit too carbonated due to too short a time in secondary.

Have some patience and have a beer.

Just my opinion based on moderate amounts of experience, but unless you are way underpitching or fermenting way too hot, there is no reason to let your beer sit in secondary or even primary for 4 weeks. I don't even understand how it's possible to let beer sit around for 8 weeks before bottling or kegging unless it's a really big beer. I usually do about a 10 day primary and then it's off to dry hops and cold crash for another 7 days. This is with up to 1.070 gravity beers and I have great results with no off flavors. Without getting into the big secondary debate, in my opinion there is no reason to sit on beer that long before carbonating unless its flawed to begin with.

Also, if you had gushers after 8 weeks of fermenting and a few more weeks of bottle conditioning, then you either didn't take any gravity readings before bottling, or you put in too much priming sugar, or you caught some kind of infection.

Just my opinion based on moderate amounts of experience, but unless you are way underpitching or fermenting way too hot, there is no reason to let your beer sit in secondary or even primary for 4 weeks. I don't even understand how it's possible to let beer sit around for 8 weeks before bottling or kegging unless it's a really big beer. I usually do about a 10 day primary and then it's off to dry hops and cold crash for another 7 days. This is with up to 1.070 gravity beers and I have great results with no off flavors. Without getting into the big secondary debate, in my opinion there is no reason to sit on beer that long before carbonating unless its flawed to begin with.

Also, if you had gushers after 8 weeks of fermenting and a few more weeks of bottle conditioning, then you either didn't take any gravity readings before bottling, or you put in too much priming sugar, or you caught some kind of infection.

+1, that's what I've been trying to say...you are just more articulate

Back