Uh oh...Airlock problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontanner

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of beer today, and after about 7 hours of it being in my closet with the airlock on, I realized I had forgotten to put sanitized water in it....

Is this...bad?

I know it was potentially open to bacteria...but will 7 hours matter much when it's such a small opening anyway?

Probably will be OK. I usually put vodka or grain alcohol in my airlock, but I have seen others on the board use sanitizer.

And congrats!!!

Ok awesome...I just realized it and ran downstairs and got a bunch of vodka and put it in. Hopefully it will be ok.

I also forgot to refridgerate the yeast....and i've had it for about three months....is this bad?

Yeah...I figured that might pose a problem.

Can I just go out and buy new yeast?

I use bottled water since that's what's in my brew anyway as top of water.
I thought I read that the pressure in the primary won't allow anything to drip from the airlock at that stage of fermenting?

Tommy

Louis Pasteur did some experiments like 200 years ago regarding bacteria. He found that a sealed container like your fermenter was most succeptable to contamination from holes in the top, but when he placed a bent tube (looked kinda like that instrument the guy plays on the Ricola commercial) on top of the sealed container (like we do with the airlock) most contamination was kept out because most bacteria fall straight down assuming there is little air current in the room. It is because of this that I would say you're 'ok'.
Pretty good for a Frenchman, eh? ;)

You can use any liquid in the airlock, but it is probably best to use something sanitary like sanitizer water of high proof alcohol, as you did. They if it does get into the beer, at least it should be sanitary. I use star-san water myself.

About your yeast: only put new yeast in if you don't see signs of fermentation after 36 hours. It won't hurt if you just want to throw some in now for peace of mind. Rehydration is good but not required.

Back