Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought Carafa Special III thinking it was the same just that I wouldn't have to milll it. I'm now reading that is not the case. If I use the special will that have a significant negative impact on the flavor? Should I mill it?
Based on this old thread, it sounds like you probably should. One of the suggestions in there is to use a coffee grinder to get as much color out as you can.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415211958.229994.jpg

And bottled. Awesome recipe thanks!!

I took my first gravity sample in preparation for bottling this weekend and am down to 1.016. I'm expecting it will be good to go.

The sample was a bit more bitter than I remember the OG sample tasting. I'm guessing it was because the AA% in my EKG were a bit higher than the original recipe. I'm thinking about adding the other 1/2 lb. of lactose I have at bottling. Does that sound like a good plan or should I trust that some time in the bottles will bring it back closer to how the OG sample tasted?

I bottled yesterday and had a couple complications. The biggest being the nearly 1 gallon of trub! I'm guessing it was related to the 4 oz. of chocolate powder. I wasn't expecting that much, and my siphon kept dropping down into it even though it was at my normal level. The end result was an overprimed batch with lots of sediment. It was so bad that it clogged up the bottling wand at one point. I ended up with 41 bottles instead of my normal 50/51.

The other issue was the extra lactose. I'd probably have been better off adding just a 1/4 lb. instead of the full 1/2 lb. since it was borderline cloying. I added it with the priming sugar mixture, so I didn't get a chance to add a little at a time. Hopefully the flavors all blend together and it ends up a little less sweet.

I'm going to let this one carb cool and slow. I'll probably end up with gushers, which will do a great job of bringing all the extra sediment back into solution. :mad:

A couple of good lessons learned, even going back to the brew.

1. Double check the AA% of the hops I have against the recipe.
2. Chocolate powder makes lots of trub.
3. Transfer everything to bottling bucket before making the priming solution. Next time I'll siphon first, then make the priming solution after verifying the volume, and sanitize bottles while it cools.
4. Add lactose in small increments to have better control over the sweetness. I should have known better on this one.

I'll proably let them sit in the basement til around New Year's and give them at least a week in the fridge. I'll report back.

I bottled yesterday and had a couple complications. The biggest being the nearly 1 gallon of trub! I'm guessing it was related to the 4 oz. of chocolate powder. I wasn't expecting that much, and my siphon kept dropping down into it even though it was at my normal level. The end result was an overprimed batch with lots of sediment. It was so bad that it clogged up the bottling wand at one point. I ended up with 41 bottles instead of my normal 50/51.

The other issue was the extra lactose. I'd probably have been better off adding just a 1/4 lb. instead of the full 1/2 lb. since it was borderline cloying. I added it with the priming sugar mixture, so I didn't get a chance to add a little at a time. Hopefully the flavors all blend together and it ends up a little less sweet.

I'm going to let this one carb cool and slow. I'll probably end up with gushers, which will do a great job of bringing all the extra sediment back into solution. :mad:

A couple of good lessons learned, even going back to the brew.

1. Double check the AA% of the hops I have against the recipe.

2. Chocolate powder makes lots of trub.

3. Transfer everything to bottling bucket before making the priming solution. Next time I'll siphon first, then make the priming solution after verifying the volume, and sanitize bottles while it cools.

4. Add lactose in small increments to have better control over the sweetness. I should have known better on this one.

I'll proably let them sit in the basement til around New Year's and give them at least a week in the fridge. I'll report back.

I experienced the same thing with the trub and the bottling wand. I "dry hopped" with some cocoa nibs and they kept getting stuck in the wand. Actually ended up having to buy a new one haha. And same, I ended up with about 43 bottles. And the taste is not the true chocolate I was expecting, more of a dark Newcastle type of beer. Still good tho. Gonna let it sit as well and hope for the best! Still had some fun making this batch.
I

This one got stuck at 1.022 for me. I tried another week in a secondary with no avail. I'm going to re-pitch another packet of yeast with some amalayse and a little lactose at the end since it will more than likely finish off dry with the second pitch. I was really hoping to try this one soon but it's really being a butt head!

Brewed this 8 days ago (with US-05) and it seems stuck at 1.030. Was hoping to get this bottled to give it some time before Christmas.

Beersmith gave a predicted OG of 1.053 (compared to op's 1.060) and I measured it at 1.055 before pitching. Predicted FG was 1.014.

Brewed this 8 days ago (with US-05) and it seems stuck at 1.030. Was hoping to get this bottled to give it some time before Christmas.

Beersmith gave a predicted OG of 1.053 (compared to op's 1.060) and I measured it at 1.055 before pitching. Predicted FG was 1.014.

Same here. I'm going to re-pitch tomorrow and see if it comes down.

So I just came from my LHBS to get everything I needed to brew this tomorrow. The only problem is that they were out of Irish ale yeast. I bought some US-05 and Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale. Any suggestions on which of these to use? Or maybe even a different one? Any help is greatly appreciated!

After a week I transferred to a secondary, mainly to get it off the trub from the boil (my pasta strainer fell into the fermenter when pouring into the bucket) at that time I added 1.5 tsp peppermint extract because there was no hint of mint. I used cocao powder in the boil (3.5 oz) and like others the Kent holdings were a little high on alpha so I dialled it back to 1.25 oz. At the end of fermentation I had a gravity of 1.019

How terrible of an idea is it to try to 'burp' the bottles I overcarbed on Sunday? Is it possible to bleed off whatever CO2 that has formed so far and then tighten the caps back down? I'm really concerned about gushers but I don't want to ruin the whole batch.

I've done that with a coffee stout I overcarbed last year. I only cracked the caps and retightened them a few times over the course of a few days.

I can't say it helped much, but you might be better off just popping one after about a week and seeing where you're at.

I've done that with a coffee stout I overcarbed last year. I only cracked the caps and retightened them a few times over the course of a few days.

I can't say it helped much, but you might be better off just popping one after about a week and seeing where you're at.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I can't stand idly by since I know they're way overcarbed. I have a couple Grolsch bottles that I'll use as my test subjects!

How terrible of an idea is it to try to 'burp' the bottles I overcarbed on Sunday? Is it possible to bleed off whatever CO2 that has formed so far and then tighten the caps back down? I'm really concerned about gushers but I don't want to ruin the whole batch.

Not sure how that will do. I agree to wait a week and see

Just finished brewing and pitching the yeast. This beer tastes amazing. Can't wait for it to be finished!

1415757154260.jpg

I shouldn't have responded without getting the facts straight. Did you use 5 oz of priming sugar for 4 gallons? Also, what is the ambient temp where your bottles are?

I shouldn't have responded without getting the facts straight. Did you use 5 oz of priming sugar for 4 gallons? Also, what is the ambient temp where your bottles are?

I used 3.9 oz of table sugar trying for 2.4 vol and estimating 4.8 gallons.

They are sitting in the basement at around 65. The upcoming cold front will probably push that down a couple degrees.

Ah ok. Just making sure it wasn't a double primed situation :drunk:

Not that bad. Just a little extra sugar since I overestimated how much was going to be in the bottling bucket.

I have 6 Grolsch bottles which I'll try to use to gauge where I'm at.

Yesterday I cracked open a bottle of this tasty brew. It has been one year since I brewed it. The mint character is till very prevalent but not at much as before. The chocolate is very faint. I had an issue of the mint being to strong as I added a few more tea bags than the recipe called for.

Think it's definite stuck. Roused the yeast twice and still sitting at 1.030. Think I might try another pack of 05 and if that doesn't work, just bottle it and call it good.

Think it's definite stuck. Roused the yeast twice and still sitting at 1.030. Think I might try another pack of 05 and if that doesn't work, just bottle it and call it good.

This is what I did. I added amalayse and another pack of S04, let it sit 2 more weeks and bottled. I guess we'll see what happens. A certain little nephew accidentally smashed my hydrometer mid-brew Saturday so I don't know what the FG ended up at. It tasted less sweet so I went ahead and bottled to make room in the FC for the new brew.

Took a sample this past weekend. I'm right at the target FG, but I WAY missed my OG (I believe it was in the mid 1040s. Late brewday, plenty of mistakes and distractions, yadda yadda).

The chocolate and peppermint flavors were definitely there, but, as expected, it tastes a bit watery.

Any thoughts on how to make it better? I plan on adding cocoa nibs, but I don't expect that to help that much

So I just cracked a bottle after sitting for a week and a half and there is nearly no carbonation. Used 3.2 ounces priming sugar for just under 5 gallons. I'm thinking the cold crash might have affected the timing for this. Or the cold basement (57F) the flavor is spot on tho and I can't wait to have it at its full carb level

So I just cracked a bottle after sitting for a week and a half and there is nearly no carbonation. Used 3.2 ounces priming sugar for just under 5 gallons. I'm thinking the cold crash might have affected the timing for this. Or the cold basement (57F) the flavor is spot on tho and I can't wait to have it at its full carb level

What level carbonation were you shooting for? That amount of sugar for 5 gallons looks a little low. The cold temperatures are probably the bigger factor though. I usually condition in the low 70s for the first couple weeks at least.

3.2 oz of priming sugar for a little less than 5 gallons put you at about 2.1 vol CO2, which I find is a little on the low side for my liking. Combined with the cold temperature, I'm not suprised there is almost no carbonation at this point. Bump the temperature up for a couple days to get the yeast going again and you'll probably get to 2.1 vol in a week or a little more.

57 is way to low to carb at. I also agree that 3.2 oz is also low. I bottle most of mine with 5 oz priming sugar at 70-75 and have great results. Bring your bottles inside to a dark closet or something for a week or two and you should be "in like Flint"

Sweet. The temp dropped like crazy the day after I bottled. I went with a lower amount because I was going for the "style profile" on the brewers friend calculator

Day number 9 in the primary and I am down to 1.014 from 1.064! Sample tasted pretty dang amazing! I could use a little more chocolate so I'm going to secondary with some cocoa nibs.

How long do you generally leave this one to let the cocoa powder settle out? I pulled a gravity sample at 2.5 weeks, and there was still plenty in suspension.

How long do you generally leave this one to let the cocoa powder settle out? I pulled a gravity sample at 2.5 weeks, and there was still plenty in suspension.

I transferred mine over at 2 weeks, then after another 2 weeks I cold crashed for 2 days then transferred to my bottle bucket

Anyone notice that there's a nice head when this is poured room temperature but no head when refrigerated? From bottle that is.

I was think about doing this but trying to boost the abv up into the 8-9% range or so. Anybody have input on any changes that should be made to hops and the like? I was also thinking that I might have to add some mint in secondary since it'll be conditioning for longer.

Kinda just brainstorming, I probably won't be brewing this until sometime after the new year when money isn't so tight but any input from the more experienced brewers out there would be great!

Cracked open a bottle last night after being bottled for only 12 days. Tasted pretty freaking amazing already! The mint came through very nicely. I cut back the cocoa powder in the boil because I dry hopped with nibs, because of that I didn't get the level of chocolate taste as I was hoping for. I actually get a lot of coffee taste in the beer which was unexpected but fits in well. Overall I'm really impressed with this beer has turned out so far, thanks for the recipe!

View attachment 1418842474504.jpg

I was think about doing this but trying to boost the abv up into the 8-9% range or so. Anybody have input on any changes that should be made to hops and the like? I was also thinking that I might have to add some mint in secondary since it'll be conditioning for longer.

Kinda just brainstorming, I probably won't be brewing this until sometime after the new year when money isn't so tight but any input from the more experienced brewers out there would be great!

You can try adding some corn sugar to achieve a higher abv, also bumping up the grain bill would
work as well.

Back