March pump on RIMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I am getting set to start work on a single tier, direct fire RIMS with a single March pump build. I have a question about recirculating through the pump while directly heating my mash tun. I am concerned about the amout of malt/trub that would circulate through the pump. I have a false bottom that I built that will keep eveything larger than 1/16th out but even with a good mill and bed that still ends up being 2 to 3 cups of material that gets through. Do I need to be concerned about the material doing damage to the pump? Am I going to have to build or buy another false bottom that will keep more material out? I currently direct fire on the unit and have no problems with scortching, but I stir every 3 to 4 minutes when I am heating the mash. If I have to get a new false bottom are there suggestions for purchase for a pre built that will work in the keggle?

The March pumps are pretty good about not getting clogged up with grain material. It will just pass through. When you vorlauf, the material will just come out to the top of the grain bed and after a few minutes, you should be running clean. Each time you stir, you'll kick up some grain that will again come through. Just don't stir in the last 10-15 minutes of the mash and you'll be fine. Stirring every 3-4 minutes is overkill. On a 60 minute mash, I stir at 45, 30 & 15 minutes and then let it settle out for the last 15.

I stir once. Just make sure you stir well when you dough in. Considering you're recirculating, I don't see a need to stir again.

March pumps work great for recirculating systems though. My buddy bought a chugger pump, that's even better. Higher flow, more head, and a stainless pump head for the same price.

The March pumps are pretty good about not getting clogged up with grain material. It will just pass through. When you vorlauf, the material will just come out to the top of the grain bed and after a few minutes, you should be running clean. Each time you stir, you'll kick up some grain that will again come through. Just don't stir in the last 10-15 minutes of the mash and you'll be fine. Stirring every 3-4 minutes is overkill. On a 60 minute mash, I stir at 45, 30 & 15 minutes and then let it settle out for the last 15.

Are you batch sparging and if so are you letting the Sparge settle for 15 mins? before moving to boil?

Are you batch sparging and if so are you letting the Sparge settle for 15 mins? before moving to boil?

I fly sparge. I also do continuous recirculation throughout the mash. I just do a stir every 15 minutes during that recirc just to make sure the grain bed didn't channel. The last stir is 15 minutes before the end of the mash - plenty of time for the bed to settle again and run clear.

I used to never stir during the mash (other than mash in), but just feel safer doing it this way. It's not going to hurt.

Stirring should not be necessary, and is the reason for the RIMs set up. Stir to ensure the grain is hydrated and you have reached your proper mash temp through out the grain bed, then set the pump to recirc very slowly and that is it (or is supposed to be it anyway, depending on your equipment and expertise). 15 minutes before the end of the mash, stir to ensure the grain bed is not compacted so you can rinse the sugars away, and begin the vorlaf. You dont need two pumps, and you dont even need one pump. But two pumps will save you so much hassle, and allow you to conentrate on more important things like having all your hops ready, flow rates perfect, beer in your cup is still full.....

Back