Big IIPA Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowa41

Reaction score
Hey,

About a week ago, I brewed a big IIPA (1.100) (also, my first brew session). I won't be dry hopping it (hopbursted it with a pound of hops), so I really have no reason to rack it to a secondary. It is still bubbling away, but I was wondering how long I should plan on leaving it in the primary. Does the fact that it is a big beer give me any reason to keep it in primary for more than 3/4 weeks or rack it to a secondary?

Thanks!

leave it in the primary until the SG stops falling. then bottle as normal and let sit for as long as posable. big beers need more aging than normal beers.

Hey,

About a week ago, I brewed a big IIPA (1.100) (also, my first brew session). I won't be dry hopping it (hopbursted it with a pound of hops), so I really have no reason to rack it to a secondary. It is still bubbling away, but I was wondering how long I should plan on leaving it in the primary. Does the fact that it is a big beer give me any reason to keep it in primary for more than 3/4 weeks or rack it to a secondary?

Thanks!

a POUND of hops? Holy cr@p. out of curiousity, what was your hop schedule? Is this a 5 gallon batch?

a POUND of hops? Holy cr@p. out of curiousity, what was your hop schedule? Is this a 5 gallon batch?

Yes, it is a 5 gallon batch. It is the NB 115th Dream Hopbursted IIPA kit, and it smells heavenly.

2oz Cluster @ 60
2oz Cluster @ 30
3oz Hopburst Blend (warrior/cent./Columbus?) @ 15
3oz Hopburst Blend @ 10
3oz Hopburst Blend @ 5
3oz Hopburst Blend @ 0

I just did a big IIPA (1.096) and used something similar in hops (10oz for a 3 gal batch).

It's delicious. It was in the primary for 3 weeks. It was done fermenting after the 2nd week, but I let it clear another week. From what I gathered, its better to not let an IIPA age too long as you'll lose some of the aromas. Barleywines, etc you can let bulk age for a long time, but I wouldn't in this case.

I say if the FG doesn't change over a 3-4 day period, bottle it relatively quick and don't let it sit too long. It will take prob a month to carb up anyways with the high ABV of a 1.1 OG beer.

Back