Max temp for Danstar Windsor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
I made up a batch of gruit ale last night, but today the temps are hovering around 80F, so it's about 75F in the brew room. Is that temp too high for good flavor from Danstar Windsor? I think it said something like 68F maximum?

I'm trying to figure out a way to cool this easily, I'm going to try a swamp cooler approach, sitting the carboy in a rubbermaid pan, put water in it, wrap it with a wet towel, and then blow a fan over it to see if that cools it any.

from what i have noticed if you go too hot with windsor during the first few days or so you get a bubble-gummy taste(which ages out a bit) i only like windsor if you ferment in the low 60's

Thank you so much. Ok I set up the 'swamp cooler' around it, I can feel that the towel is cool, but to get 6.5 gallons dropped even 10 degrees is going to take a while. It's getting plenty cool here at night now but the days are still up in the 80's.

Yeah, you really need to be ahead of the temps. Get a bunch of ice in there as well, if at all possible.

It's better to have the temp low in your desired range and then pitch. And it's much easier than trying to lower the temp after fermentation has gotten rolling, as it's an exothermic process (i.e. produces heat), and all that thermal mass makes it hard to adjust quickly. The first few days, during the height of fermentation, is the most crucial. And all that time spent at too-high temps produces the unwanted by-products and off flavors. You'll want to make sure you give it a good week, or even two, after fermentation is complete, to give the yeast time to clean up the unwanted by-products as much as possible.

Bottom line is think ahead and plan your fermentation. It pays off.

Ok thanks for the help, it was in that range when I started it, but it warmed up with the fermentation plus its about 77F in the room right now. I just dumped some more ice into the rubbermaid tote and around the wet towel. The surface temp under the towel is 73F, so its making it lower than room temp but not by much. I have to get more ice. I really need to set up on of those floor freezer jobbies I can see.

Ok thanks for the help, it was in that range when I started it, but it warmed up with the fermentation ...

Yep, like I said, you've got to stay ahead of it; be proactive to keep your temp right. G'luck with it.

65 TOPS and that means actual wort fermenting temp (digital temp probe taped against and under bubble wrap in a fridge or freezer or a watchful eye over a swamp cooler) ..

This yeast IMO gets some unfair reviews because it's fermented too warm, and even though the manufacturer says it can go north of 65, in my meager brewhouse, Windsor gets funky and nasty in the upper 60's.

It gives off a pleasant generic British style fruitiness at 65 and works well for achieving just that. it's not a replacement for 1968 or 1469, but it's definetly usable for similiar applications.

If I asked this before, forgive me. My wort was 91 F when I pitched my pre fed yeast. For 24 hours or so, it bubbled constantly. In 2 hours I had bubbles, I would say it hit full krausen around hours 12 to 15. I then moved the bucket to a 68 F cellar, and it has been 3-1/2 days since the yeast was pitched, and there is a thick layer in the bottom of the bucket. Yes, I know, don't try to rush things.. This is the first time I have ever seen yeast act that way. Normally ( for what I have seen personally) there is a remotely steady active airlock activity at least for a couple of days. If any of the other yeasts I have used, did this I would be quite worried. Someone please remind me; relax, have a homebrew. Thanks

If I asked this before, forgive me. My wort was 91 F when I pitched my pre fed yeast. For 24 hours or so, it bubbled constantly. In 2 hours I had bubbles, I would say it hit full krausen around hours 12 to 15. I then moved the bucket to a 68 F cellar, and it has been 3-1/2 days since the yeast was pitched, and there is a thick layer in the bottom of the bucket. Yes, I know, don't try to rush things.. This is the first time I have ever seen yeast act that way. Normally ( for what I have seen personally) there is a remotely steady active airlock activity at least for a couple of days. If any of the other yeasts I have used, did this I would be quite worried. Someone please remind me; relax, have a homebrew. Thanks

Pitching yeast at 91 degrees means a fast (often explosive) fermentation. I'm surprised it took more than 24 hours to finish up.

Not much you can do now, except to just bottle when it's time and hope you don't have too many off-flavors from such a high temperature fermentation. Next time, try your best to keep your beer UNDER 68 degrees as it ferments.

Back