Cory Keg Liquid Dip Tube Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me a "Challenger VI" keg.

It's missing the liquid dip tube and liquid out ball lock.

It's clean and immaculate minus these items.

I know I can buy a used liquid dip tube from here:
5 Gallon Soda Keg Liquid Dip Tube

But I don't know what to ask for.

I want a ball lock (Pepsi) liquid dip tube.

Do I want straight or curved?

Do I want "Ears or Round"?

Do I need to buy an o-ring as well?

New to kegging and I need some help restoring this otherwise pristine keg.

Any information is appreciated.

Remove the lid, grab a flashlight, and look at the bottom of the keg. If there's a round "dimple"' depression in the center, the keg would have come with a curved or bent out tube. Otoh, if there's a channel depression that runs out to the side, the keg would have come with a straight tube.

For the "ears or round" question, look closely at the inside of the out port. If it appears perfectly round, you want the "round" tube. If it looks like there are a pair of slight vertical slots, that's for the "ear" version - but note that a round tube will work.

A Firestone Challenger VI uses the following post threads:
- Gas 9/16"-18
- Liquid 5/8" -18

So be sure to order the correct post and a poppet to match.

Yes, you should replace all of the O-rings, including the small ones around the dip tubes, the ones around the posts, and the big one around the lid...

Cheers!

Remove the lid, grab a flashlight, and look at the bottom of the keg. If there's a round "dimple"' depression in the center, the keg would have come with a curved or bent out tube. Otoh, if there's a channel depression that runs out to the side, the keg would have come with a straight tube.

For the "ears or round" question, look closely at the inside of the out port. If it appears perfectly round, you want the "round" tube. If it looks like there are a pair of slight vertical slots, that's for the "ear" version - but note that a round tube will work.

A Firestone Challenger VI uses the following post threads:
- Gas 9/16"-18
- Liquid 5/8" -18

So be sure to order the correct post and a poppet to match.

Yes, you should replace all of the O-rings, including the small ones around the dip tubes, the ones around the posts, and the big one around the lid...

Cheers!

Pardon the necropost @day_trippr. Can you elaborate a bit on the "ear" vs "round" thing? Am I looking inside the Out post, or the tube itself?

I've got a dip tube from a Cornelius Spartan keg that's problematic (got bent and now takes a LOT of muscle to insert/remove). I'd like to replace it if possible but it's hard to know what I'm supposed to get.

Weird, that this popped up. I was just wondering the same thing about the ear on dip tubes. I just purchased a 5.7L pressure vessel and need to buy some parts to get it keg worthy.

On some types of kegs the threaded riser for the liquid dip tube has a pair of reliefs carved on opposite sides of the inside of the riser. These were designed to accept a matching (bent style) dip tube with a pair of protruding "ears" just under the flange that fit those reliefs. All with the intention of preventing the dip tube from twisting when installing the liquid post such that the other end comes out of its bottom "well".

DipTubeCombo.jpg

Again, a standard round profile dip tube will fit just fine but won't have that "anti-twist" advantage. But a film of keg lube on the small O-ring under the flange will remove much of the twisting force and usually will keep the dip tube in its well...

Cheers!

Back