Wyeast pack - did I get a dud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Picked up a wyeast 1056 smack pack from the local brew dude and in the rush of piling things in my arms and to get in and out I just realized when I got home that the pack is pretty well swelled up. However, I can still feel the inner pack and pretty certain it hasn't popped. Do I have a defective pack here or is this normal? I suppose I will know when I try to make a starter, but if it's a probable dud I would rather bring it back unopened.

I know when I activated mine, it got so hard that you couldn't have squeezed it to be able to find the inner pack.

A friend bought a 1056 smack pack online a month ago and it was shipped from Texas in hot weather. When he got it it was slightly more swollen then the ones I've used so I told him to buy another just in case. We had to smack the piss out of it before it would break but it ended up working fine.

You should be fine. Buy some cheap 05 as a backup so you don't have 5 gallons of yummy wort just sitting there waiting for yeast.

Just had the same issue with my 1056. Midwest is usually slower with their USPS shipping yet I ordered Wednesday and it came yesterday while I was out of town. It's been hot here so the yeast was bloated when I got it today. The smack pack does NOT appear to have been bursted though. So tossed in fridge immediately and hoping everything will be okay when I brew later in the week. We shall see, right now it's pretty bloated and I'd think smacking it would burst the bag.

Latest posts

Back