Made my fresh hopped Rhizome IPA today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
What a day! I woke up at 6 AM (not bad considering I got out of work at 11 PM last night) to pick my hops, got started by 10 AM, finished by 3 PM, and I'm dead tired now. I was determined to get my first year hops into a beer, and even though my usual brew buddy couldn't make it, I powered through.

My recipe for my Rhizome IPA was pretty simple, just something to showcase my hops. The recipe is as follows:
8 lbs American 2-Row
2 lbs Carapils
White Labs California Ale yeast (001 I think?)
and my entire first year crop of Chinook hops (which ended up being 12 oz picked, which should mean about 3 oz or so dry, but I didn't dry them).

Fresh hops in a beer are freakin amazing, they look beautiful & they smell fantastic.
Here's some beer p0rn:
dsc00851nk1.jpg

Just after I tossed them into the pot...
dsc00855wc4.jpg

i think i will try that with my first year hops too.
counted about 75-100 hops on each of two cascades and two hallertau today!
keep us updated on how it turns out

That is some nice beer p0rn - congrats on your harvest! :mug:

Are you going to bury the vines to produce extra rhizomes for next year, or did you cut the vines off to harvest the hops? Looks like there are a lot of first-time hop growers on here, and a HBT mass rhizome-exchange has been mentioned a couple of times; now that your hops are in, that might be something to think about.

I did the same thing with some of my second year harvest.
I mixed in equal amounts, Chinook, Cascades, and Centennial. I then added 180g of the fresh hop mix to first wort hop, 60 min, 15min and 5 min. For a total of 720g of hops. Or about 180g (about 6.3oz) dried.

It smells great as does my attic where I dried the hops.

Craig

I'd love to do that same thing, but I think I'll only have enough for finishing hops in an IPA. I have not counted, but only one of my three first years has so far produced any flowers. I'm guessing about 30 flowers, maybe less.

Back