Oops -- accidentally used expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanveann

Reaction score
So, my husband (who's apparently too much of a guy to post and ask for advice) made a batch of pale ale last night ... and failed to notice before he pitched the yeast that its "best before" date was April. (White Labs English Ale yeast, if it makes any difference.)

We finished up the beer about 17 hours ago ... and there's a whole lot of nothing going on in the carboy right now.

Is this beer toast? Or should we wait a bit longer and see what happens? Is there anything we can do to help salvage the batch?

I think you should wait a couple of days at least and if then you still don't see anything, pitch again. Shouldn't be a problem.

Did you make a starter? I'll assume not, because if you did you would have noticed activity in the starter and that would have shown you that it was ok.

But, if you didn't use a starter, it will take at least 24 hrs for a vial of yeast to show signs in a 5 gallon batch. Maybe longer. I'd worry after 48hrs.

Thanks, guys! Glad to know this batch isn't a goner :) (Because I was never a pale ale person before, but dang this stuff is good!)

We haven't done starters before -- we're pretty new to homebrewing. I'll have to read up more on them in the future.

Starters for liquid yeast is always best.
I'm getting a brew cooled down to 50f right now in my lager fridge so I can pitch S-189 yeast that has an expiry date of Feb/08. Yep over a year since it was expired. I keep my dry yeast in the freezer and find that I can expect to extend the like of my yeast that way.
BUT, I am pitching twice what I would normally pitch if the yeast were inside the expiry date.

Problem? I don't see no stinking problem!!

I've use expired yeast many times (it's usually FREE!!!) :rockin: Sometimes it's over 2 years expired, but it's still good.

As long as you make a starter a few days ahead of time you should be good. ;)

Back