Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make beers with mostly unmalted millet and buckwheat, but the malty flavors come from a few pounds of malted rice. If you cant get any GF Malt youmight add 1 lb of D-45 candi syrup instead.

If you can get a Thermally stable alpha amylase (like "Termamyl").
Grind grains fine.
Add 14 lbs of grain to 4 gallons of water, add 2 Tbsp Termamyl. Heat to 180 F with constant stiring. Rest at 180 F for 2 hours.

If you canot get thermally stable alpha amylase...Cook your ground grains (as you would cook rice), instead of the 2 hour 180 F mash.
Then adjust the mash temp to 65 C and add your enzyme blend, hold at 65 for 1 hour.

Add ice to reduce the temperature of the mash to 65 C, add your enzyme blend and
rest at 65 C for 1 hour.

Sparge, boil as usual, and add 1 lb of D45 candi syrup at flame out (assuming you did not use any malted specialty grain).

I apologise for mix of english and metric units...are you in Australia(the link you posted was for an Ausie product)? If so you will understand the mixed units.
Feel free to PM me if you want more detail.

Hi thanks for tour reply its is very helpful. Yes i am in Australia and this is the only product i hve been abke to source. There is no malted G/F grains available. I about to do a test batch this weekend and this enzyme is the only one i can get. Is the D46 candi syrup a off the shelf product or do u make it yourself.

Do tou think this enzyme will work as i have 1lyr of it and it was vey expensive.

Kind regards

Andy

I have no experience with that particular enzyme blend, but it seems like you should be able to get it to work. You may have to experiment for a while to get to somthing that you are happy with, and find a process that works for you. If the end product finishes too sweet with a high final gravity, try mashing longer (or adding more enzyme). If it finishes too dry, you can cut the mash time down(or add less enzyme).

Candi syrup is available at many homebrew shops.
D40 or D45 is amber in color and will add mild toasted flavors and color to a beer that lacks specialty malts. If you cant find it, you can search this site for instructions on how to make it.
Fair warning...the store bought stuff is a little diffrent than what I have been able to make at home. If you can find it, I would buy it rather than make it.

Back