Grapefruit Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ness22

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American wheat beer extract from NB and want to add a unique fruit. Anyone have opinions on grapefruit? When would you add and how would you do it?

sounds interesting, use the peel and avoid the pith and toss that in the boil. The meat you could freeze until primary fermentation is done and add in the fruit then.

Woodbury419 said:
sounds interesting, use the peel and avoid the pith and toss that in the boil. The meat you could freeze until primary fermentation is done and add in the fruit then.

Should I scrape the white rhine off the inside of the peel or just throw it in? How many grapefruit peels?

The amount is up to you...I'd say 1 for sure...maybe 2 at the most. Use a zester to zest off the peel of the grapefruit. The pith is the white bitter nasty stuff you will want to avoid on the peel. for oranges I use .5 grams of zested peel per liter i make. so if you're making a 5 gal batch that would be 38 grams of orange zest (around 2-3 oranges).

i made 10gal heffe last week, to one carboy i added 5 tangelos and one red grapefruit (i wanted do do blood oranges but couldnt find them), i peeled the fruits, steeped the peel in 180F or so water (just to cover the peel) for 15min, cut the rest of the fruit in to small pieces, pulverized with potato masher then mixed everything with liquid from steeping and dumped in the fermenting beer (around 48h after pitching), i dont know how it taste but im gona take a sample today for og reading, from color and fruit taste if i would do it again i would just use red grapefruits. All this was inspired but recipe in extreme brewing by Sam Calagione

Back