So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

Brown Ale!

pitching yeast for a batch of mead. Nothing fancy, just honey with a few raisins and a clove. I was eyeballing the honey and came up a bit strong (1.165 when I was expecting 1.139 -- small batches are sensitive to some variations) so I'm using a more resistant yeast which should finish ~17% with plenty of sweetness left.

This weekend is the 30th anniversary of my first brew, which my beer logbook shows as an Amber Ale on "15 MAR 89" using Munton & Fison Amber Hop Flavored malt, corn sugar, salt (?) and lager yeast -- I had no idea what I was doing, but I didn't have all the excellent knowledge here at Homebrewtalk to draw from!

Brewing a SMaSH IPA at the moment.

Kegging a hoppy blonde today (5 gal) and brewing a 10 gal pale ale tomorrow. Switch between a 10gal batch and 5 gal batch every two weeks. Gives me my around 400 gal/years, not counting cider or mead.

Planning on using Denny's Fave (wy1450) for the first time on an American brown ale that will be formally judged by my brew club in mid May. That gives me time to brew, package and condition before zero hour.

I have noticed my brown ales are not their best in less than a month.

Brewing a hoppy american strong ale (big brown ale? It's big, kind of brown and hoppy) this weekend with the last of my Citra & Mosaic from last year. In the weeks after that, lager time getting ready for the hot Florida summer.

Put my American brown ale to bed at 6:00pm. Had a very smooth brewday other than coming up a few points shy of my anticipated pre boil/original gravity. I anticipate a final product I will be proud of despite less than stellar efficiency.

I just bottled a dry hard cider. Just did a gallon of it to make sure it turns out before I do 10 gallons for the summer.

Brewing a tropical coconut milkshake IPA tomorrow!

Brewed a simcoe and sorachi ace IPA. First brew in a few months. Need a couple brew days more to be ready for summer. Irish red, chocolate stout. Doesn’t scream summer but it’s going to be good.

183EFF77-BDCE-4C95-ABB8-A0B1553F8B17.jpg
8CC981D3-53AE-4931-AB05-36BC486E193B.jpg

Brewing up a Munich Helles tomorrow, using instant-pot Sauergut for biological acidification and a big healthy starter of Munich lager yeast

Gearing up to do wild ale #3, a re-brew of wild ale #1, a lambic-ish recipe. 1 gallon will be siphoned off for a gueuze style project.

Pipeline is dangerously low with only a WF lager force carbing and an almost empty keg of Brown; so planning an ambitious double brew day tomorrow. First up is a Bastard clone since I can do that one practically in my sleep, then will brew up another batch of lager with some fresh S-23. No german hops on hand, so will probably bitter with some Cascade and finish with a mix of Centennial and Legacy just for 1) the heck of it and 2) I have lots of both.

I'm brewing a big Belgian Quad this weekend, modeled after Josh Weikert's "Brew Your Best Belgian Dark Strong" from beerandbrewing.com. The grain bill is 11# Belgian Pilsner, 3# Belgian Munich, 0.25# Special B, and 2# D-180 candi syrup. Planned OG is 1.090. 90 minute mash at 148-150, with 20-minute mashout at 170, boil is 75 minutes and batch size is 6 gallons. I get about 88% kettle efficiency with my HERMS system, with the liquor/grist ratios I use, and my temperature-controlled fermentations run north of 85% with WLP500 Monastery Ale yeast; it may be higher with the 2# of candi syrup. A tiny Magnum addition at 60 minutes, a large-ish Hersbrucker addition at 20 minutes and some Styrian Goldings at flameout. If I can keep my bloody paws off of it, I plan to cellar it 'til fall.

Back