AG effeciency and batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I did my third AG batch last weekend and my first 10 gallon full boil. In the previous 2 5 gallon batches I had to add about 1 LB dme to get to my expected OG at 75% expected effeciency. This time, I actually passed my expected OG and added no DME whatsoever. Is there an increase effeciency going from 5 Gal to 10 Gal? all batches were BIAB, single sparge at 170F, squeeze profusely twice. The 5 gallon batches used a 5 gallon paint strainer, the 10 gallon batch used a voile curtain bag.

I would expect a 10 gallon eff to be equal to or less than the 5 gallon eff. Paint strainer vs voile bag should not matter either, I've used both. Less trub with the voile obviously.

I'd look at any differences in crush, mash temps, mash times, mash out, grain bill size, etc. I've noticed nice efficiency gains from adjusting the crush, mashing for 75 minutes vs 60, and adding a mash out. Started in the mid 60's, jumped to mid 70's with finer crush and mash out, and sometimes hit mid/upper 80's with 75 minute mash and small/med grain bills.

I would expect a 10 gallon eff to be equal to or less than the 5 gallon eff. Paint strainer vs voile bag should not matter either, I've used both. Less trub with the voile obviously.

I'd look at any differences in crush, mash temps, mash times, mash out, grain bill size, etc. I've noticed nice efficiency gains from adjusting the crush, mashing for 75 minutes vs 60, and adding a mash out. Started in the mid 60's, jumped to mid 70's with finer crush and mash out, and sometimes hit mid/upper 80's with 75 minute mash and small/med grain bills.

All 3 batches were double crushed by yours truly, at the same LHBW on the same mill. I even divided the grains for the 10 gallon batch into 2 5 gallon batches (in case it rained and I had to brew inside) I did mash a little thinnner (2 QT/LB VS previous 1.25 QT/LB) bacause I had the space in the larger brew pot.

That's a pretty big clue. I vary betwen 1.25 and 2 qt/lb also. Kind of what I was getting at with the small vs large grain bill. An 8 or 8.5 lb grain bag works much better for me than the 12 lb bags that pretty much max out my system. Looking back at my notes my 2 Hearted IPA w/ 12lbs was 77% and my most recent Kolsch was 86% with 8.5 lbs. Pretty identical mashes otherwise.

All 3 batches were double crushed by yours truly, at the same LHBW on the same mill. I even divided the grains for the 10 gallon batch into 2 5 gallon batches (in case it rained and I had to brew inside) I did mash a little thinnner (2 QT/LB VS previous 1.25 QT/LB) bacause I had the space in the larger brew pot.

Yep, that makes sense. You'll tend to get more sugars out with a thinner mash.

I'm totally mashing thinner this next brew. Add it to the list of upgrades to my process.

Back