Which chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndstorey

Reaction score
I was almost ready to buy a Sanyo 4912 when I saw a photo on the board somewhere of a ontap@homes chest freezer that was a 5cf and held 3 kegs and a 5# bottle rather than the Sanyos 2 kegs and bottle. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28808
I already have a two faucet tower but was thinking aboutusing the extra keg space for force-carbonating. Ontap didn't know which brand/model of freezer he had. My question I guess is what 5 cubic foot chest freezer will hold all three cornies and a five pound bottle AND not need a collar built on to it?

I have both. I bought GE's because I've had good luck with them in the past.

I use the Sanyo to dispense, one freezer to ferment, and the other for storage of other stuff, including kegs waiting to be dispensed.

Have 2 of the 5 cu ft. I can fit 2 - 5 gallon kegs, 1 - 3 gallon on the ledge, and the 5# CO2 bottle on the ledge.

Ain't much room left after that.

Good luck.

Probably a lot of them will. Why not head down to Lowes/HD with a measuring tape?

Can you modify your tower to add a third faucet?

2ndstorey - let me know what you find out.

I still haven't decided what I want to do about a kegerator. I like the nice, neat look of the 4912's, but I don't care for the 2 tap limit. I don't really want a big freezer although the space would be nice. A 3 tap freezerator might do the trick without too much extra cost at about the same size.

Decisions, decisions...

I have both a Sanyo for public dispensing upstairs and then a Whirlpool 9.6Cubic Foot in the workshop down stairs.

If I were forced to choose only one? I'd go with the chest freezer. More capacity, more efficient (cold air doesn't whoosh out the front door when you open it) and a collar and some taps is less expensive than a tower and taps (unless it's a DIY set up like mine).

I've since installed proper taps on the Keezer.

Inventory1.JPG

Chest_5.JPG

Inventory3.JPG

I went to a couple places today on my lunch break and I think I have decided to go with the 4912. I have only a tiny bit of room for this thing in our tiny little apartment and saw a 5cf freezer today that was half again the footprint of the fridge. Would I like to have a four tap chest freezer? Of course. But I would have to take out the couch and convince my wife that not only is the chest freezer more comfortable to sit on but you don't even have to move to get a beer. I just don't see that happening.

OR, you could throw a tablecloth on the thing and put it in the dining room! "Keep your feet away from the compressor, honey...it's hot!"

Cool thing about what you're doing is when you move up in living space you can probably recoup around 75% of your investment. People will see how much a commercial kegerator costs and jump at the chance to buy your 4912.

Latest posts

Back