The Texas Two Step with a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I had an "oh crap" moment the other day when I realized that my brew pot isn't big enough to hold five gallons of boiling liquid. Having weighed all my options (high gravity boil then dilute, two step process, etc.), I decided to go with a two step brewing process. Basically I'll do two boils one after the other each with half the desired volume. I'll treat each one as if it were a full boil and combine the chilled wort in the primary.

Now, I'm inclined to say RDWHAHB, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this kind of brewing with a starter.

Should I pitch half the starter as soon as the first half is at pitching temperature? Or should I pitch the whole starter then? If I pitch the whole starter, would I have to worry about off-flavors that are supposed to be associated with over pitching?

(Using the mr malty pitching rate calculator, I found out that I need to pitch 1.89 L.)

I bet you could pitch the whole starter as soon as the first half is chilled and never suffer any ill effects at all. The only thing I can think of that might be affected is your lag time...and that will be reduced, which is a good thing!

Back