Imperial Blonde Recipe Fromulation/ Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RushN24

Reaction score
Ok so I'm trying to formulate my own recipe for my second batch of beer for the spring time and I want to make an Imperial Blonde Ale. Here is what I am thinking, keep in mind this is an extract + specialty grain brew not all-grain.

5 Gallon Batch Mad Russian Imperial Blonde

6.6lbs Briess Pilsen LME
1lb Muntons Wheat DME
1lb Carapils (dextrin) Malt
1lb Dextrose

1.5oz Centennial hops @ 60 mins (bittering)
1oz Cascade hops @ 15 mins (flavor)
.5oz Cascade hops @ 5 mins (aroma)

Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast 11g dry packet

Target OG 1.070 plus/minus .002

Procedure:
1. Steep Carapils @ 155F for 30 mins
2. Bring to boil and add LME, dextrose, and bittering @ 60 mins
3. Add DME @ 20 mins
3. Flavoring addition @ 15 mins
4. Aroma addition @ 5 mins
5. Cool and pitch yeast

Here is what I'm looking for...
  • Does this recipe in general seem reasonable?
  • Is the yeast a good strain and will I need a starter or second packet because of the high OG?
  • Do these hops fit well with the style (I like the citrusy aspect to them)?
  • Should I split the hop additions up differently, I haven't set a target IBU but I'm thinking around 30?
  • Is there anything in particular about a blonde I should know before I try her out (this question might lead you to digress but focus on the beer!)?
  • Any other tips or help is greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need any other details. I will be sure to post any success or failure of this recipe, and if it is successful I will add it to the recipes section. Thanks Again!

1 packet of Nottingham will do 70 gravity points with no problem. You may wish to rehydrate, but no starter needed. I am not sure if it will remain as light as a blonde. Im thinking more pale ale than blonde. Hops look good, but I wonder about your 30 IBU calculation. For IPAs I prefer about 1.1:1 IBU:Gravity-Point ratio. I made a pale ale once and that was .8. I think .4:1 might be pretty sweet.

I wonder about your 30 IBU calculation. For IPAs I prefer about 1.1:1 IBU:Gravity-Point ratio. I made a pale ale once and that was .8. I think .4:1 might be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the comments! To be honest I didnt actually calculate the hops bill, I just made a general estimate. I see your point about the IBU:GU but I don't think blondes are too hoppy to begin with. I actually thought 30 was a good starting point but now you have me thinking that the higher gravity might mitigate some of the apparent bitterness. This is supposed to be an imperial so I am looking for a little more character than is traditional. Maybe I better do some math...

Poke the numbers into one of the online calculators like beercalculus. I use beersmith, not one of the online calcs. Different ones will result with different numbers, dont get too wrapped up with that though, its a prettygoodenough estimate for our purposes.

I poked the hops into beersmith and came up with 57 IBUs based on Cent - 10.0AA and Cascade 5.5 AA. .821 on the BU:GU ratio. I would put that in pale-ale category.

FWIW - 1 oz Cent at 60 and same 15/5 additions comes up with 41.5 IBU and about .6 BU:GU. Thats probably blonde-ish ratio.

Doesn't sound that imperial. 7 lbs DME might be getting there.

Double blond has a ring to it.;)

8.6 lbs of malt, 1 lb of dextrose and 1.070 OG is a fair amount more than a traditional blonde.

Double Blonde?...I really like the sound of that. :mug:

I poked the hops into beersmith and came up with 57 IBUs based on Cent - 10.0AA and Cascade 5.5 AA. .821 on the BU:GU ratio. I would put that in pale-ale category.

FWIW - 1 oz Cent at 60 and same 15/5 additions comes up with 41.5 IBU and about .6 BU:GU. Thats probably blonde-ish ratio.

Thanks s3n8 for running the numbers...I also have to take into account the under utilization of the hops because my boil will only be about 3 gallons unless i get a bigger kettle by the time I do it. And the gravity in the pot will be around 1.117 which is pretty high and also lessens the utilization.

Would this recipe be better or worse if I kept everything the same but added 1lb extra of pilsen grain to steep with the carapils?

If you are talking about doing a mini-mash instead of steeping grains, you may get a little bit fresher grain flavor, but I doubt it would alter the end result substantially.

Back