Carbing psi vs serving psi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
When using the force carb chart I think I just put together a piece of the puzzle of kegging. Is that chart the PSI to carbonate the beer and not also the serving PSI? I've read a few threads and seems people do it different. In looking at that chart, my fridge is at 35 degrees. I want a heavily carbonated witbier. I am going with the middle of the range (3.22 volumes/17psi). One thread I read said to leave it at 17psi for a week, purge the gas and set to 10psi for serving. Another I read said to keep the carbing psi on all the time and take it back down to 10psi when serving. When done, put it back up to carbing. And yet another I read said to leave it at the carbing psi and get a longer line to compensate. I have 6 feet of line now and it worked fine (before I over carbed the beer). Anyhow I feel this is the last piece of the puzzle that I need!

When using the force carb chart I think I just put together a piece of the puzzle of kegging. Is that chart the PSI to carbonate the beer and not also the serving PSI? I've read a few threads and seems people do it different. In looking at that chart, my fridge is at 35 degrees. I want a heavily carbonated witbier. I am going with the middle of the range (3.22 volumes/17psi). One thread I read said to leave it at 17psi for a week, purge the gas and set to 10psi for serving. Another I read said to keep the carbing psi on all the time and take it back down to 10psi when serving. When done, put it back up to carbing. And yet another I read said to leave it at the carbing psi and get a longer line to compensate. I have 6 feet of line now and it worked fine (before I over carbed the beer). Anyhow I feel this is the last piece of the puzzle that I need!

download the link in my signature below. It has a kegging calculator/how to that should get you setup. Any questions just ask.

Listen to PJ. Serve at carbonation pressure. If you carbonate at 17 PSI then drop to 10 PSI, the beer will release CO2 until it equilibrates with the 10 PSI...the result, after a few days, is undercarbonated beer.

I just used the calculator on this, and it tells me that for a 10ft line I need to set my pressure to 21 PSI, that doesn't seem right.

You are assuming a resistance of 2 PSI per foot of 3/16". Personally, I think that # is bulls#it, and it's closer to 1-1.25 PSI per foot. In the end, do what works for your system, and remember, you can always shorten lines, but you can't lengthen them!

If you carbonate at a lower temperature than you serve, you will need to recalculate the proper serving pressure for that higher Temp. PV=nRT...

Actually, p=k(H)c....PV=nRT applies to the gas gaining or losing pressure as temperature goes up or down, (respectively), but a loss in pressure will be compensated for by the regulator, and a gain in pressure won't affect a full keg much since the headspace is so small. What does change drastically is the solubility of CO2 in beer at different temperatures, and that's Henry's Law.

You are assuming a resistance of 2 PSI per foot of 3/16". Personally, I think that # is bulls#it, and it's closer to 1-1.25 PSI per foot. In the end, do what works for your system, and remember, you can always shorten lines, but you can't lengthen them!

Cool, i recalced with 1.25 and it comes out to 13.3. That's a good starting point, I'll keep tweaking till I find the sweet spot for my setup.

Back