All-grain Equipment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAbrewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking into starting all-grain brewing. I am currently wondering how big of a mash tun I need. I typically brew big beers (IIPAs, Triples, Imperial Stouts / Porters, etc.) with occasional 1.072 OG and under beers. I am wondering if a 32qt stainless steel stock pot would be sufficient enough for lets say 18lbs of grain. Does this sound like a big enough mash tun? If not, what size would I need. I am planning on starting with stove top or oven mashing, which is why I am going for a stock pot mash tun as opposed to a cooler setup.

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers

This should have all the information you need: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585. From Bobby M's post on top of page 2 there is also this info:

Each quart of mash tun capacity can handle:
Max grain @ 1.25qt/lb = .6lbs
Total strike .1875 gallons
Total in tun .2435 gallons

FYI, HBT has a pretty good search function. This is one of those questions that gets asked multiple times per day. Nothing wrong with asking, but you can find a lot of the information you need by searching. Good luck.

Thank you all for the responses. Yes I am BIAB.
Found some additional info so I think I am on the right track.
Thanks for the time and consideration.
Cheers

Back