Weight of 10 lbs dry grain when wet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
I don't want to chuck spent grains in my garden - too many wood chucks (no pun) squierls, racoons, chipmonks, mice etc. so I will need to dump the spent grains the trash.

I've only PM before and wet grain get fairly heavy; right?

So how do you get rid of AG batch of spent grain?

Well, as far as weight, the dry grains will aborb about .1 gallon of water per pound. So, for 10 pounds of grain, figure it will absorp a gallon of water. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. So, 10 pounds of saturated grains = 18 pounds.

But you will have extracted about a half pound of sugar per pound of grain.
So the remainder will be only 13 pounds.

I put my grain in a plastic bag, poke a bunch of holes in the bottom, and put it outside.
It seems to lose some weight over the three days between brew day and trash day.

I don't want to chuck spent grains in my garden - too many wood chucks (no pun) squierls, racoons, chipmonks, mice etc. so I will need to dump the spent grains the trash.

I've only PM before and wet grain get fairly heavy; right?

So how do you get rid of AG batch of spent grain?

You could try the garden, i dump my grain in the backyard near the woods on my property which is full of all sorts of wildlife from deer on down, sometimes it is mildly poked at, sometimes undisturbed, point being I don't think the grain is changing the ecosystem by any means. The animals don't like it nearly as much as I thought they might. It is just so easy if you have a place "out back" to toss it. of course YMMV.

Back