Pitch then aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I cooled the wort by letting it sit all night and I just sprinkled a pack of S-05 in there. After I sprinkled the goodies, it dawned on me that the wort was not aerated. So I shook the bucket for several minutes.

Anything to worry about...will this damage the yeast? Thanks!

You may have problems, but they are from leaving it over night, not the way you pitched and shook. I have never had much luck without pitching right away, I once left one over night outside (it was below freezing outside) and it was the worst beer. What happened is that what little problems I had time to grow and multiply before you added the yeast, giving them a big head start.

I am relatively new to brewing so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I think that the only real danger in this method is that your risk of contanimation grows exponentially the longer you wait to pitch.

From what I understand, the reason for chilling and pitching immediately after the boil is to get the fermentaion to start as quickly as possible so that the oxygen in the headspace is replaced by CO2.

Yeah I know it wasn't an optimal situation...I essentially ran out of time at the end of the brewing. I cooled the boil pot in an ice bath for about 10 minutes and then dumped the whole lot of it into a sanitized bucket with lid. So there's several things going on here. Will there by hot side aeration? The wort was still pretty hot when it went into the plastic fermenter. Will there be chemical residues from the food grade bucket that leeched into the beer?

I tasted the wort before pitching and it tasted great...so hopefully things will stay that way....;)

Back