Basic Brewing: Low-Tech Lagering and Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Does anyone have this DVD? I am interested in the Low Tech Lagering part. They state they show a home built system with out a chest freezer of fridge. I don't even know what the other thing is to be honest. Is what their showing pretty simple to do?

Bill

I have the DVD. The information is good, but the program itself is very short and could have easily been covered in a podcast. Of course you can't charge people for the podcast.

The low-tech lagering setup is a 10gal cooler that will hold your fermentation bucket. There is a large copper coil, like a wort chiller, and a pond pump in a cooler of ice water. It's been a while since I watched it but as I recall James rigged up a couple of temperature controllers to turn things off and on. The pond pump runs ice water through the copper coil, which sits between the inner wall of the 10gal cooler and the fermentation bucket, and chills the water in the 10gal cooler to lagering temps.

It's an ingenious approach but no easier or cheaper than buying a used dorm fridge and turning the thermostat all the way up. I like the Basic Brewing guys but was a little disappointed in this DVD. Total runtime is about 30 minutes. On the upside, the video production values are very good, and the DVD did inspire me to purchase a pond pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller to cool my wort, which works remarkably well.

Chad

I have the DVD. The information is good, but the program itself is very short and could have easily been covered in a podcast. Of course you can't charge people for the podcast.

The low-tech lagering setup is a 10gal cooler that will hold your fermentation bucket. There is a large copper coil, like a wort chiller, and a pond pump in a cooler of ice water. It's been a while since I watched it but as I recall James rigged up a couple of temperature controllers to turn things off and on. The pond pump runs ice water through the copper coil, which sits between the inner wall of the 10gal cooler and the fermentation bucket, and chills the water in the 10gal cooler to lagering temps.

It's an ingenious approach but no easier or cheaper than buying a used dorm fridge and turning the thermostat all the way up. I like the Basic Brewing guys but was a little disappointed in this DVD. Total runtime is about 30 minutes. On the upside, the video production values are very good, and the DVD did inspire me to purchase a pond pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller to cool my wort, which works remarkably well.

Chad

Oh, so a dorm fridge will get down low enough to lager? I was under the impression it needed to almost freeze? If that's the case let me know and I'll head to Target this weekend.

Bill:mug:

are dorm fridges even tall enough? I was under the impression I needed a full sized chest freezer or upright fridge.

I just picked up a Sanyo 4910 from a resturaunt auction and a fermenter bucket, a carboy, or 2 cornys fit it fine. Just get one without a freezer box.

944play has used this method and swears by it. You take an Ice Cube cooler big enough to fit your fermenter and recirc the water between it and a second cooler with a sump type pump on a temperature controller. You don't need the copper coil, you can drill a hole in the fermentation cooler and have a tube return the water to the ice cooler when the pump kicks in causing the level to overflow. I have had some of his lagers from the system and they came out great.

Depending on how my warm temp lager experiment works out, I may or may not build this rig... I'm hoping to be able to produce lagers without the temp controller and extra cooler, though I may be limited in my selection of yeast strains. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/warm-temp-lager-fermentation-experiment-115732/

Anyone have advice on what kind of pump to use? I went to Lowe's and saw a few options, but the only ones that were cheap didn't seem like they would go very high (i.e. have enough force to push the water through lots of tubing). Drilling some holes probably would be better, but I would rather preserve the integrity of the coolers.

On the plus side, I built Misplaced_Canuck's dual stage temperature controller last night, so I am one step closer to building the LTLS.

Cheers!

Back