Fermenting tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. I would let it ride a little longer just to help clarify it since your skipping the primary.

2. Once it hits FG for 3 consecutive readings feel free to bottle, you can do it right away, let it sit for awhile or do the secondary thing. I always let mine go an extra week or so if I don't use a secondary.

3. I personally use a wine thief, sanitize it and plunge it in for all my readings. As long as you make sure its super clean you won't have any problems.

4. Yep most guys try to control the temp within a few degrees of their targets during fermentation. Many yeasts have their own ranges so always look it up. Plus some desire certain flavors to come out more such as banana in a hefe so they tend to stick to the higher end. But in any event just in mind the internal temp of a fermenting batch is a few degrees higher then the ambient room temp, and even in some regards to the outside sticky thermometers on the carboys / buckets. So I always make sure my sticky thermometer reads 2-3 degrees lower then the max temp I am staying below.

Some ways to cool it down include a fan + wet bath towel wrap around the carboy. Sticking the carboy in a rubber made tub and adding frozen water bottles / water. Or using something like a fridge or deep freezer with temp controller. I would make sure you don't go to high or you will get a lot of off flavors in your finished brew.

Back