Coconut porter infection or coconut goo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Making a coconut porter and went to taste it to see how the coconut flavor was coming along. Opened her up and found whats pictured. I tasted it and it tastes sort of ok. I taste the chocolate malt and coconut but its a tad sour id say but just slightly. It smells fine too. Anyone have any experience with adding coconut to the primary?
I toasted half of some organic coconut flakes and didnt toast the other half. I sprayed the muslin bag with starsan before putting the flakes in it. Its been on the coconut for just over a week or so.

Any ideas??

View attachment 1441840364366.jpg

View attachment 1441840379287.jpg

That almost looks like coconut oil to me. At room temp or below its pretty solid, but if the temp is raised to say 100 f or above it goes to liquid. Just a thought. Maybe pull a chunk of the white stuff out and inspect. Good luck!

Edit: I'm not saying to increase the temp of your beer to 100f. But if that is coconut oil I know of no way to get it back into solution without raising temp, and give the beer the flavor you are looking for in the porter.

I cook with a lot of coconut oil. That is very possible. im thinking about Kegging it tonight to be on the safe side. Its for a fruit beer competition in my brew club. I won the last one so I have to bring it this time!
Thanks for your thoughts!!

I will be interested to know how much coconut flavor you get from that method. Good luck in the competition!

Right now its pretty well balanced in taste but not a whole lot in the nose though. Maybe once it's carbonated it'll pop with coconut a bit more. I'll try to remember to let you know.

after tasting it again it's fine... no off flavors at all; it's just green. I'm cold crashing it now so I can get it on gas a few days before the competition. Freshy-Fresh!

I think it is just the coconut oil in those pics and not a bigger problem. My streak of no infections continues...

Latest posts

Back