Black IPA brewed yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Brewed this yesterday:

5.5 Gallons

10# 2-row
10oz Carafa III
8oz C60
8oz Flaked Barley
.5# Cane Sugar

Mash @151-152

.5oz Chinook @ FWH
1oz Chinook @ 70min
1oz Falconers Flight @ 30min
.5oz Falconers Flight @ 15min
.5oz Falconers Flight @ 5min
1oz Falconers Flight @ 0min

WLP001 with 1 liter starter fermented @ 68F

OG: 1.068

Will dry hop in the keg with 1oz each Chinook and FF.

The wort tasted real good and was pitch black. Smooth hoppiness with a slight roast note to it.
Pitched yeast yesterday afternoon and it was chugging away this morning in my basement that is around 62-63F ambient. Smelled great through the airlock. Looking forward to drinking this one with the dry hops.

I really wanna use FF in a IPA....thats up next. Jeez. I already have 4 IPAs ready, then an IPL, and BlackIPA.

I have issues.

Yea the blend smelled awesome and tasted great.

After reading alot of recipes for Black IPAs I wasn't sure how it would be using pretty much all carafa for the color. I think it worked out great, got the beer real dark, a little roasty and did not add any grainy bitterness ala roasted barley (as far as I could tell from the pre-pitch wort sample)

When I do my black IPA I am going to use cocoa powder like a choc stout and steep a bunch of orange peel, I think that will go great with the hops, like those chocolate orange balls everybody gets at Xmas. I think Citra would be a great hop due for this beer I am planning.

This has been sitting in the kegerator for a little over 2 weeks now. I was sampling it as it was going along and right now I think it is at its peak. The dry hops really shine. This is a real winner I think. It is black as midnight with a subtle roastyness in the body and hops all the way through.

Back